Birds on the Ground.

Staatsbrat

Aug 14, 2020
Hey there! We live in Texas. I see a lot of social media birds on the ground in the grass. I’m not sure how I feel about that. Thoughts?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Texas does not have long cold Winters that tend to kill off Viruses and Bacterias, plus a vast number of bugs and spiders, just to name a few things. As a result, it is not a great idea to place your Parrot on the ground and take her /him back into your home. Yes, Parrots live naturally in such environments, but when they become Companion Parrots, they do not build-up a resistance to such things, nor the smarts to avoid them and others. Whether one is speaking about cats or Parrots, insiders should be kept inside!

Likely going to be opinions on all sides of this question, but that's my two-cents!!

OP
Staatsbrat

Staatsbrat

Aug 14, 2020
Texas does not have long cold Winters that tend to kill off Viruses and Bacterias, plus a vast number of bugs and spiders, just to name a few things. As a result, it is not a great idea to place your Parrot on the ground and take her /him back into your home. Yes, Parrots live naturally in such environments, but when they become Companion Parrots, they do not build-up a resistance to such things, nor the smarts to avoid them and others. Whether one is speaking about cats or Parrots, insiders should be kept inside!

Likely going to be opinions on all sides of this question, but that's my two-cents!!
Honestly, that was my opinion too so I appreciate hearing it

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Then what about an outdoor aviary?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I don’t let my parrot down on the ground where I know wild birds have been. I especially would not since there’s the avian influenza outbreak. I have also seen shallow fountains that looked like they’d be a lovely parrot bath, but knowing that wild birds use those spaces, I don’t allow my birds to. Wild birds have parasites, among other things.

An outdoor aviary is dangerous when outbreaks of avian influenza are going through wild populations of birds. Even if it is roofed, there’s still a possibility of contact or dropping contamination.

Most Reactions