Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am sure you mean to help. I am also sure that there are many solutions to one problem. But I mean to help too. So if we think differently, I would appreciate a link to studies or articles that proof your point. Instead of simply saying it exists. Help me get more clever, won't you?

My experience......
My Emerald stop responding to commands when perched higher than my eye level. (Perhaps she read these myth on the internet 😳) Height dominance is recognized by many reputable sources too. And in the end it is just another way that might help. What is there to loose to try out this method? This theory only requires a move of perches to below eye level. If it works, problem solved....have a happy day....

I read about height dominace in birds.....a lot....I tried it on my sweet baby birds...and it worked for me. So I just share what works for me.

I am sure there is no right or wrong options (at least until you try it under your own circumstances.) What did not work for you, might work for me.....can we agree to disagree?
There is seriously so many articles/videos on this that I can't link them all.

StormyPica alreay linked most of them but I'll send them anyway(thanks ollie, lol)
Here they are:

This is what I could find.

Ok, we can agree to disagree. If that is what you believe, fine. But also keep in mind just because it worked with your bird, doesn't mean it will work with others. My cockatiel isn't aggressive when she is high. Sometimes birds think they have more control over you when up high, but it isn't really dominance.

Could you link the blogs/articles/videos that say height dominance exists?

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
(thanks ollie, lol)
Your welcome!

OP, you can believe what you want, we won't stop you, we have given more supporting evidence than Emral, but if you'd rather believe Emral that is ok.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
I do agree that it may help, I just don't think it's 'dominance', as there is no such thing as a flock leader.

When birds are higher than you, they will see no need to step down, because they want to get higher to avoid predators. Here are some articles and videos explaining why height dominance is a myth.

The chain of thoughts in this well written article is reasonable. It is interesting to see that height dominance was seen as the writer as associated with how human justified......" Physical punishment, locking a bird in a cage, spraying them and doing anything else to make you be 'the alpha bird’ or the 'bird in charge"

My definition of height dominance is just a simple reduction of the perch height. So you can request cooperation from your featured buddy. It is easier to train and it works for me and my buddies. And it has no association, has nothing to do with any form of punishment. I am glad we work out that's it the differences in definition issue.

since I mentioned height dominance, I explained it as a simple solution so that this simple reduction in the perch height idea may be tried out. I hope you will kindly note that it does not include any association with any form of punishment, none what so ever.

If any one (who seek different ideas on how to better relate to their 🐦 buddies) includes any punishment in training session, this would break my heart too. ❀

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
The chain of thoughts in this well written article is reasonable. It is interesting to see that height dominance was seen as the writer as associated with how human justified......" Physical punishment, locking a bird in a cage, spraying them and doing anything else to make you be 'the alpha bird’ or the 'bird in charge"

My definition of height dominance is just a simple reduction of the perch height. So you can request cooperation from your featured buddy. It is easier to train and it works for me and my buddies. And it has no association, has nothing to do with any form of punishment. I am glad we work out that's it the differences in definition issue.

since I mentioned height dominance, I explained it as a simple solution so that this simple reduction in the perch height idea may be tried out. I hope you will kindly note that it does not include any association with any form of punishment, none what so ever.

If any one (who seek different ideas on how to better relate to their 🐦 buddies) includes any punishment in training session, this would break my heart too. ❀
I respect your opinion and understand it. I still don't agree with height dominance but it's just my opinion.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I respect your opinion and understand it. I still don't agree with height dominance but it's just my opinion.
Agreed. I do get where Emral is coming from, though, and I do suggest the OP trying their method.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Just gonna point out I'm siding more with stormy on this height dominance isn't a thing my birds actually prefer to train higher that eye level because they feel safer i would say it have the opposite affect of what ur describing.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Just gonna point out I'm siding more with stormy on this height dominance isn't a thing my birds actually prefer to train higher that eye level because they feel safer i would say it have the opposite affect of what ur describing.
Same. It works with many animals, including reptiles and inverts as well as birds. Pepper for example, used to only step down to me or eat millet from my hand if he was higher than me. Also if I accidentally bump into their bird tree when they're on it (my room is small), I am only able to regain their trust by letting them be higher than me.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
Same. It works with many animals, including reptiles and inverts as well as birds. Pepper for example, used to only step down to me or eat millet from my hand if he was higher than me. Also if I accidentally bump into their bird tree when they're on it (my room is small), I am only able to regain their trust by letting them be higher than me.
Many birds in the wild don't have leaders but they really don't its just all the birds work together to make decisions true there are higher ups but no leader

MissMac

Dec 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Parrots
Females, Lutino Indian Ringneck Missy and Silver Lavender IRN Gracie.
Shredding toys, target training, more to do. Keep him busy and distracted from biting and never punish him. But don't react either. So when he bites, you shouldn't yell, pull away, hit him, or throw him.
So when he bites, you shouldn't yell, pull away, hit him, or throw him.
Can I ask why not? Just asking.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Because you're teaching the bird to fear you. It'll make them uncomfortable with you and more likely to bite again.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
And if you yell, you are giving the bird attention for it, some birds like yelling and will bite to get that reaction out of you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts