Biting

Lucabird

Feb 20, 2019
Hello. I have a 2 year old red bellied conure and we are like best friends but the problem is he still bites a lot, especially when he’s excited. I’ve tried everything from bite proof gloves (he still manages to nip through them), not reacting to the bite, putting him back into cage when he does it etc but nothing is stopping him. It’s definitely not an aggressive bite more a play/excitement as he only does it to me who he is closest with and makes his excited little noise (I think he gets carried away and sees it as a game)
Any advice on how I can stop it would be appreciated as it bloody hurts and I keep bruising from it lol

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
At 2 yrs, your conure is likely in the midst of his puberty. That affects parrots in different ways and each is an individual. So this could be a temporary thing, but the trick is to not let bad behavior become permanent. The best bite is one that is avoided. Learn his body language, which admittedly is not as obvious as that of say an Amazon. But it will still be there. Avoid situations that you know cause him to bite. Learn where his tea kettle level is and stop prior to that being reached.

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
Connie,still tries this on with me,shes very velcro,and does this rubbing her head on my thumb just like a cat,but can get carried away finishing with a little bite! However its taken about a year to really get to know her and her me! She now knows that a very firm "No" means stop! But its taken time to get an instant response!
Put him to the side somewhere( not his cage as thats his safe place) and avoid eye contact for a few minutes. They dont hold grudges and after a minute or two all will be forgotten and you'll be besties again.

Most Reactions

Latest posts