Black feathers on my parrotlets! Help

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Hi, im Josefin ive got two female parrotlets they are adult 7 year olds! The thing is that i have switched their diet a more then a half year ago. Becuase on a only seed diet, that cuased a long flaky beak, on one of them, and the other one got black feathers. I suspekt they didnt get all the vitamins. Now they are on a harrison bird food recomended from a vet that we talked to. And also gets fresh veggies. Things got better with my birds beak but she got black feathers too! So now they both have black feathers and i dont know if its something missing in their diet? They always preen and they are very happy, No sick bird behavior. But the only thing is their black feathers that makes me worried. ☹️
Here is a picture
8F5CB37B-0778-4888-8A39-D8BFAD357674.jpeg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
When was the last time your Parrots had a good molt as the feathers look a bit on the weathered side. Possible not getting regular bathe opportunities. Feather color has much to do with their condition as that defines reflective color that we see.

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
When was the last time your Parrots had a good molt as the feathers look a bit on the weathered side. Possible not getting regular bathe opportunities. Feather color has much to do with their condition as that defines reflective color that we see.
I bathe them 3 or 2 times a week, i think they molted when it was winter, but should a spray mist them maybe everyday?

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
I bathe them 3 or 2 times a week, i think they molted when it was winter, but should a spray mist
as you said with the condition, i think it maybe be lack of vitamins at the time when their feathers grew, but now they are on a healthy diet so i hope they molt away those feathers.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Was the black feathers there before or after the diet change?

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
I t
Was the black feathers there before or after the diet change?
I think they were there before, but they had other pellets before i changed to harrison becuse the other pellets contained much fat and sugar. But i think at the time they started to get black feathers!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Feathers get darker as they wear out, or as you pet a bird, as well. Willow has darker feathers on his left side because he MUST cuddle into my right hand.

Is this maybe wear from hands and hand oils?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
When they molt again, the feathers will likely go back to normal. If not, then there is a reason to be concerned.

As Heather mentioned, oily hands can make the feathers wear off quicker...

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Feathers get darker as they wear out, or as you pet a bird, as well. Willow has darker feathers on his left side because he MUST cuddle into my right hand.

Is this maybe wear from hands and hand oils?
I think that too! Hope those feathers will molt out!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Here is a photo of Willow and his blackened worn feathers on his left side, from cuddling with my right hand. (You have to mentally flip the picture but the worn side IS his left side. I guess my right hand is much better at petting birds.)
B7DC1855-679F-4B9E-8384-45B439B52329.jpeg

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Here is a photo of Willow and his blackened worn feathers on his left side, from cuddling with my right hand. (You have to mentally flip the picture but the worn side IS his left side. I guess my right hand is much better at petting birds.) View attachment 42763
Awww its so cute🥰

Skiflower

Dec 8, 2021
Parrots
Parrotlet
Hi, im Josefin ive got two female parrotlets they are adult 7 year olds! The thing is that i have switched their diet a more then a half year ago. Becuase on a only seed diet, that cuased a long flaky beak, on one of them, and the other one got black feathers. I suspekt they didnt get all the vitamins. Now they are on a harrison bird food recomended from a vet that we talked to. And also gets fresh veggies. Things got better with my birds beak but she got black feathers too! So now they both have black feathers and i dont know if its something missing in their diet? They always preen and they are very happy, No sick bird behavior. But the only thing is their black feathers that makes me worried. ☹️
Here is a pictureView attachment 42710
Hello. I just joined the forum and happened to notice your post. Just yesterday, I took a class on showers for Parrots. The behaviorist (very accomplished) said that birds feathers can turn black if moldy. She called it something specific, but I can't remember (sorry!). I know this might not be the issue, but found it interesting, so thought I'd mention in case? She talked about going to bed with wet feathers or living in a very humid environment. Anyway, don't want to scare or send inaccurate information, but so coincidental, that I thought I should mention it in case it helps in sone way. Good luck!!!

OP
J

Josefin

Jul 27, 2022
Parrots
Two parrotlets
Hello. I just joined the forum and happened to notice your post. Just yesterday, I took a class on showers for Parrots. The behaviorist (very accomplished) said that birds feathers can turn black if moldy. She called it something specific, but I can't remember (sorry!). I know this might not be the issue, but found it interesting, so thought I'd mention in case? She talked about going to bed with wet feathers or living in a very humid environment. Anyway, don't want to scare or send inaccurate information, but so coincidental, that I thought I should mention it in case it helps in sone way. Good luck!!!
I dont know ecactly, but is it dangerous? Or just dameged feathers as you mean?

Most Reactions

Latest posts