Black Spots On Beak of Lory Bird

ab2022

Dec 31, 2022
Parrots
Lorikeet
Hello,

I brought home a lorikeet about 2 months ago and I've noticed these two black spots on her beak. They have been there from day one. Everything else seems super normal (eatings, pooping, playing, etc). However, I'm not sure if I should be worried about these black marks.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8409.png
    IMG_8409.png
    62.6 KB · Views: 66

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. We don't have a lot of Lori owners on here, but one will be along presently. Gotta say it looks pretty normal to me. I'd google a bunch of picks of Loris and see if it is common. Beaks take such a beating, you should see my Salty's beak, looks like he went thru the wars with it.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I agree with my colleague @wrench13, it looks to me like some bruising. My baby lorikeet, Lovejoy, had a similar marking on his poor beakie after I first brought him home - honestly I can't remember if he had it when i got him or if it happened soon after he arrived here. His wings had never been clipped but he was quite young and was still learning to fly properly. His vet identified the mark as a bruise, when I took him in for his first wellness check, likely from one of those early unstuck landings. Here's a pic of him with his bruise - this was back in September and the mark has grown out now. Keep an eye on your girl, but I do suspect you'll find her marks will grow out too, hopefully not to be replaced by any more! 🙏

lovejoyewelcome3a2.jpeg

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I agree. I think those dark spots are small bruises on the beak.? They resemble when you hit your fingernail and it gets a white spot or even a purple or black spot.

Most Reactions