BLood feather of male cockatiel.

anishkatiel

Feb 11, 2021
Parrots
2 cockatiels, male and female.
Hello all, I just saw that my cockatiel has the stem/shaft of the blood feather near his tail and there was blood over his tail, it's my first experience with this and I am a very anxiety-prone person and I can't stop crying because my parents don't see it as a serious thing. It has stopped bleeding and blood seems to be stuck in that stem/shaft of the feather that I can see. I have bathed him with antiseptic water and he doesn't seem different than usual but I am keeping him away from my other tiel so they don't fight or play and hurt it. I may or may not be able to go to the vet in few hours, if I am not able to please guys help me make it okay somehow. :yellow1::(

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hello anishkatiel, welcome to the Forums! I'm sorry that your little one is having some issues with a blood feather, it certainly can look very gruesome when they break one. My boy Fang broke one when he was a baby and he managed to spray blood EVERYWHERE!

Unfortunately this situation can become serious if the bleeding does not stop because they do not have much blood to lose, so the most important thing to do when this happens is to make sure the bleeding has stopped. From your description it sounds like the the blood has clotted in the shaft, but if the bleeding starts up again you can use corn starch or plain flour to help clot it and stop the flow until you get him to the vet. Just dab some flour or corn starch on the wound/part of the feather that is bleeding and watch until the bleeding completely stops. Corn starch or flour works well but if it is a very serious bleed you can also use styptic powder - styptic powder can sting but that is better than them continuing to lose blood in an emergency. If you are able to get your bird to the vet they will most likely pull the feather out to prevent the from bleeding from starting again, but you'll have to watch him closely until then to make sure you can get more flour on it if it starts bleeding again.

I'm not sure which part of the world you are in, but the following link may help you to find an avian vet, if you don't know of one already ...

https://www.aav.org/

Thank you for joining! I'm glad you found us and have reached out for help for your little one. Please do keep us updated and I hope you are able to get him to the vet :)

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts