bloody egg, please help.

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I posted the other day about Apollo laying her first egg. The egg was small, more akin to a finch egg than a cockatiel egg. I gave her a clutch of dummy eggs to hopefully prevent further laying as I was told that could help. I came home from work today and she had laid another egg. It was a more normal cockatiel egg size but it was also streaked with blood all around it. I do not know if this is normal for first time layers or not... I intend to get into contact with my vet but it's nearly midnight and I wouldn't get a response until Monday since it's a holiday tomorrow. Should I take her to an emergency vet? She's acting fine, I checked her vent and I didnt see any blood or prolapse. The blood was limited to the egg from what I could see. I do have a vet appointment set up for Wednesday.

20230408_223504.jpg

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
In poultry like chickens, blood vessels in the vent area can burst from the pressure in first time layers, as it takes time for the elasticity in their vents that allows laying to build up. It usually results in a small filmy area of blood like this. As this is a larger/more “normal sized” egg than her first, that would be my guess. As long as there is no sign of prolapse or continued bleeding, she should be okay! It is definitely scary to see for the first time though.

I think your plan to follow up in the morning with the vet is a good one, as long as she seems physically fine and isn’t having bloody stools etc.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I posted the other day about Apollo laying her first egg. The egg was small, more akin to a finch egg than a cockatiel egg. I gave her a clutch of dummy eggs to hopefully prevent further laying as I was told that could help. I came home from work today and she had laid another egg. It was a more normal cockatiel egg size but it was also streaked with blood all around it. I do not know if this is normal for first time layers or not... I intend to get into contact with my vet but it's nearly midnight and I wouldn't get a response until Monday since it's a holiday tomorrow. Should I take her to an emergency vet? She's acting fine, I checked her vent and I didnt see any blood or prolapse. The blood was limited to the egg from what I czould see. I do have a vet appointment set up for Wednesday.

View attachment 49181
Poor girl, I guess that one hurt a bit! I would take her to an avian vet ASAP but if she's eating and behaving normally and her poops aren't bloody she's probably fine.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Yeah I think she's okay. She's still normal today and I got a better look at her vent and the cage and didn't see any blood. She has a tiny smear of blood on her face but that's really it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts