Bloody feather on his left wing

Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
I do morning checks on mango every day to make sure he is at a healthy weight. This morning I notice some dry blood on his side underneath his left wing. Was looking at his side and saw no injuries. It was when he stretched I noticed it was coming from his wing. The first two feather on his wing were bleeding. A few days ago I notice that they were covered a keratin sheath. An now they are only partially covered. Maybe he over plucked it? Or broke it? It does not seem to bother him he is flying like normal. I’ve reached out to his vet and am waiting for a call back. Should I be concerned? Any advice?
IMG_1098.jpeg
IMG_1102.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So he may have broken or injured a blood feather (one that still has a blood supply going into it). UNless you are prepared to remove the rest of the broken shaft, keep a supply of corn starch handy incase it starts to bleed again, sprinkle some on the bleeding end and let it coagulate.

OP
Mango the Sun Conure
Jul 23, 2023
Parrots
7 month old sun conure
So he may have broken or injured a blood feather (one that still has a blood supply going into it). UNless you are prepared to remove the rest of the broken shaft, keep a supply of corn starch handy incase it starts to bleed again, sprinkle some on the bleeding end and let it coagulate.
Would styptic powder work?

Most Reactions

Latest posts