Blue and Gold

SandiPhD

Aug 12, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold McCaw
My husband and I have a beautiful spoon fed female Blue and Gold McCaw named BoJangles . We got her 25 years ago at eight weeks old and hand fed her meticulously. Bo is extremely tame, is rarely in her cage except for night time, gets along very well with our two cats, bosses our Rotties around and is very devoted to me, calling me “mama”. As we’re advancing in age we’re concerned about what to do with her based on evidence that she will long outlive us. We would like to she her in a beautiful environment where she can continue to thrive. Throughout the years BoJangles has occasionally presented us with eggs which unfortunately weren’t fertile due to her not having mated. Any information where we might explore our options to re-home her in the fashion she is accustomed to would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 16D352E8-B82B-43B6-A769-8A8A81248C6A.jpeg
    16D352E8-B82B-43B6-A769-8A8A81248C6A.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 105

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and your beautiful BoJangles! What is your anticipated time frame? Considering preemptive re-homing while you and husband still capable or planning for worst case scenario when one or both are unavailable?

I've recently confronted similar reality and have no trusted family or friends interested in my flock. After deep contemplation and much research, I decided to peruse various sanctuaries requiring substantial bequest for perpetual care. Frankly the good ones are rare and one must be prepared to periodically evaluate for distant need. I've identified one several hours drive and know my family will facilitate as needed. Alternatively, if I received morose diagnosis with short time anticipated, might use remaining weeks/months to actively seek and vet private home(s).

So many scenarios, best to incorporate BoJangles in your trust/will and consult an attorney for particulars. Many methods to ensure financial support if needed.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Where are you located? Makes a BIG difference in finding either a new home or a trusted sanctuary.

OP
S

SandiPhD

Aug 12, 2021
Parrots
Blue and Gold McCaw
Welcome to you and your beautiful BoJangles! What is your anticipated time frame? Considering preemptive re-homing while you and husband still capable or planning for worst case scenario when one or both are unavailable?

I've recently confronted similar reality and have no trusted family or friends interested in my flock. After deep contemplation and much research, I decided to peruse various sanctuaries requiring substantial bequest for perpetual care. Frankly the good ones are rare and one must be prepared to periodically evaluate for distant need. I've identified one several hours drive and know my family will facilitate as needed. Alternatively, if I received morose diagnosis with short time anticipated, might use remaining weeks/months to actively seek and vet private home(s).

So many scenarios, best to incorporate BoJangles in your trust/will and consult an attorney for particulars. Many methods to ensure financial support if needed.
Hi. Scott, thank you for your reply. We’re in healthcare, currently been in California since 2008 but we’ve also lived in NYC and Michigan, BoJangles was born in New York. She travels well by air and car actually loving it because it tweaks her never ending curiosity as she sits on the console. BoJangles is in our Trust but we believe something should be done under our control, the time frame isn’t immediate but realistic. All suggestions are welcome.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks for an update! Realistic but not immediate suggests forays to determine safe and loving home for BoJangles in lieu of simply acknowledging theoretical need. Do you have family or friends interested in a large parrot? Joining parrot clubs and social networks may widen the net, developing trusted associations. I live in SoCal and networked extensively to place my flock of 8 with some success. Task for you will be far easier with a single bird. Researching sanctuaries was last resort, feel free to PM me if interested in opinions of west-coast facilities.

Most Reactions