Blue&Gold Macaw wanted - Northern California

daddyshark

Dec 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Hi,
Me and my wife have dreamt about macaw for years, now we got the point, we are ready to get a new member to our family.
We have talked to local aviaries and rescue. Unfortunately there are no birds available. Don't want to disclose much details about each of the rescue. But my perception - they are just not willing to give up the birds for us :(.
About us - we have 2 kids, 2 cats, house. We acknowledge the risk of having the parrot with cats. But we are very confident we can make them to deal with each other.
We are constantly looking at craiglist ads - most of the ads there are just scams, unfortunately, I don't have any intention to deal with them.
The last resort is to extend our searching and start looking at another states. So far we found 2 rescues in CO and FL. But taking the bird from them maybe a tough think to do.
Please let me know if you have anyone in NorCal who is looking to give up the birds. Or any tips and advises from you.
Thank you all

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
everybody starts out with no experience, there really aren't any practice parrots. Its just that Macaws can be a handful, extra loud, extra cash needed for their big chewing needs. And children and cats are red flags for rescues. Just is what it is. Many people have children and parrots, and we have members that have parrots and cats too, with caution.

I hope you are able to find your dream parrot. And this forum is a great place to learn and find support. Parrots are not an easy pet. I always like to share that they are going to be way more messy than you can imagine! Even the best individual will be loud at the most inconvenient times...hormones during spring and fall in some individuals can be trying , they need lots if mental stimulation , social enteraction every single day for ever. But if you and your family can embrace that, incredibly love and joy as well.

OP
D

daddyshark

Dec 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
That's gonna be tough sell to any rescue or frankly any one looking to re-home their parrot. Especially if you haven't large parrot experience (or any parrot experience (?)).
well my wife had parakeet when she was a teenager. And it's was fruitful experience, those were giving a breed and she had to hand-feed the small ones because mom rejected those :). I understand it doesn't count much. Having big bird is a difference!

OP
D

daddyshark

Dec 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
everybody starts out with no experience, there really aren't any practice parrots. Its just that Macaws can be a handful, extra loud, extra cash needed for their big chewing needs. And children and cats are red flags for rescues. Just is what it is. Many people have children and parrots, and we have members that have parrots and cats too, with caution.

I hope you are able to find your dream parrot. And this forum is a great place to learn and find support. Parrots are not an easy pet. I always like to share that they are going to be way more messy than you can imagine! Even the best individual will be loud at the most inconvenient times...hormones during spring and fall in some individuals can be trying , they need lots if mental stimulation , social enteraction every single day for ever. But if you and your family can embrace that, incredibly love and joy as well.
thank you Laurasea for your kind words. We keep preparing ourselves and keep looking!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hey dont get me wrong Daddy-o, I hope you get your B&G macaw, but you should be really prepared for what you are asking for. Read thru our Macaw subforum a few times, read really hard. Let your wife read it too. Any parrot is a life changer, a macaw is a big life changer.

Be good to that B&G, they are one of my favorites!

OP
D

daddyshark

Dec 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Hey dont get me wrong Daddy-o, I hope you get your B&G macaw, but you should be really prepared for what you are asking for. Read thru our Macaw subforum a few times, read really hard. Let your wife read it too. Any parrot is a life changer, a macaw is a big life changer.

Be good to that B&G, they are one of my favorites!
yeah, reading it now :) thanks

OP
D

daddyshark

Dec 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
Hmm I know of a few people via parrot forums who volunteered at rescues to gain the Macaw experience and to be able to adopt.
At some point we are trying to do that, don't have much time and rescue is far away from us, we are coming every weekend to bond with one of the bird there.

OP
D

daddyshark

Dec 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
hi all,
thank you all for you advices. We bought a macaw last Sunday. So far, we are doing great. We train her with clicker, so far she is steps up on wife's hand and daughter's. However, she is afraid of me. I guess she has some bad memories related to males. And the cage she was in, is for parakeets! So she got a new big cage, wood toys, foraging toy, I am making "play ground" for her now.
Previous owners said: she didn't fly. But in our house she flew 3 times already, we didn't force her. She did it herself. She needs a train with landing though.
Age .. they said 14 yo, but how could you know, we called her Coco Channel.

Attachments

• 2021-12-31 08.21.47.jpg
    2021-12-31 08.21.47.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 74

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Welcome Coco Chanel! She's gorgeous :)

I wouldn't worry too much about her being standoffish just yet. Less than a week is nothing in a Mac's timeframe. Just take your time, and progress at HER comfort level. Always be a source of only good things. If that means nothing more than dropping a treat in her dish as you pass by, that's okay. Just pay attention to her body language, and don't force anything. Might take some time, maybe a lot of time, but totally worth it. This might be a good place to start: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Fantastic!
The cage door in the background. Don’t be surprised if she decides to destroy the cage! Wire cages are a little light for a mechanically minded Mac!

Last edited:
OP
D

daddyshark

Dec 19, 2021
California, US
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
thank you all for warm welcoming! yeah there is a new cage already and she loves it! thanks for the advices! I will check it

Most Reactions

Latest posts