Boarding

Tziporiah

Oct 6, 2021
Media
Indianapolis
Parrots
I have a timna African gray and a Senegal
I am thinking about a two-day vacation and would like to board my parrots but my fear of them contracting a disease from other parrots is an issue
Am I justified
Thanks

LeeC

Jun 5, 2019
Media
Harrisburg, PA
Parrots
Timneh: Grady;
Senegal: Charlie;
Sun Conure: Peaches (deceased)
Senegal: Georgia
Peach-fronted Conure: Milton (foster)
Brown-throated Conure: Pumpkin (foster)
Senegal: Fletcher
Senegal: Ivy
My parrots came from my local rescue, where they were exposed to nearly 30 other parrots. I got them months and years apart, so they were exposed to a different 30 parrots than the other parrots I adopted. I have never heard of any parrot at the rescue getting sick from another parrot. Surely it could happen. I just don't think it is highly likely to happen.

What does happen when parrots get together is injuries. If you board your parrot, ask how they ensure no toes get bitten off, for example. It happens when a parrot lands on another parrot's cage. The caged parrot bites where the parrot lands on the cage, and the bite severs off a toe against the cage bar. It is so sad--and it happens in an instant.

OP
T

Tziporiah

Oct 6, 2021
Media
Indianapolis
Parrots
I have a timna African gray and a Senegal
My parrots came from my local rescue, where they were exposed to nearly 30 other parrots. I got them months and years apart, so they were exposed to a different 30 parrots than the other parrots I adopted. I have never heard of any parrot at the rescue getting sick from another parrot. Surely it could happen. I just don't think it is highly likely to happen.

What does happen when parrots get together is injuries. If you board your parrot, ask how they ensure no toes get bitten off, for example. It happens when a parrot lands on another parrot's cage. The caged parrot bites where the parrot lands on the cage, and the bite severs off a toe against the cage bar. It is so sad--and it happens in an instant.
Thanks for your information. I know about parrots flying over to other parrots cages for sure

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
For me it depends. In the metro area where I live there are very few places to board a parrot that don't have documented psittacosis outbreaks, for example. So for my comfort level I only have one boarding facility or a pet sitter as options, because unfortunately my area is a hot spot for airborne-carried diseases. This is very different in different regions though of course! So maybe try to check with anyone you know of who has worked in rescues - I find that they have a pretty good idea of where sick parrots are coming from or who has poor quarantine practices, etc.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
There Was a really great bird boarding facility in the Twin cities of MN that had separate filtered air supply for each bird.

Can you look for something like that?

I boarded my first Quaker at a pet store for a day and she came back with a chunk bitten out of her beak. So I have gotten friends or neighbors to stop in and feed my birds when I’ve been gone.

Most Reactions