Bonding question

Kimberly9067

Nov 26, 2021
Parrots
3 cockatiels
I have 3 cockatiels. Mom dad and accidental baby who will be 4 years old come February. Mom and dad have nothing to do with baby, they abandoned him at 3 weeks old and I hand raised him.. he bonded with one of my dogs and they were best buddies until September when my dog unexpectedly passed away. Question: if I allow the parents to have another baby will my 4 year old male bond with it? Heā€™s so lonely now.. the parents unknowingly to me hatched an egg I didnā€™t know they had and the chick passed after 36 hours.. (another thread).. now Iā€™m thinking if I allow them to have another would my current baby bond? Does anyone know if they bond with a 4 year age difference? Thank you

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I have 3 cockatiels. Mom dad and accidental baby who will be 4 years old come February. Mom and dad have nothing to do with baby, they abandoned him at 3 weeks old and I hand raised him.. he bonded with one of my dogs and they were best buddies until September when my dog unexpectedly passed away. Question: if I allow the parents to have another baby will my 4 year old male bond with it? Heā€™s so lonely now.. the parents unknowingly to me hatched an egg I didnā€™t know they had and the chick passed after 36 hours.. (another thread).. now Iā€™m thinking if I allow them to have another would my current baby bond? Does anyone know if they bond with a 4 year age difference? Thank you
Hi Kimberly...

Cockatiels usually lay more than one egg. Are you willing/able/confident to take on possibly four or five?
You can NEVER tell if one bird will bond,or even LIKE another one,even same species.
Then again,my 32 y.o. Amazon is best pals with BB :oops:

Jim

OP
K

Kimberly9067

Nov 26, 2021
Parrots
3 cockatiels
Hi Kimberly...

Cockatiels usually lay more than one egg. Are you willing/able/confident to take on possibly four or five?
You can NEVER tell if one bird will bond,or even LIKE another one,even same species.
Then again,my 32 y.o. Amazon is best pals with BB :oops:

Jim
My female has laid up to 10 eggs at one time and only 2 were fertile.. when they are mating and egg laying I check the eggs for the fertile ones and remove them, let her keep the empties.. so far in almost 5 years sheā€™s hatched 2.. one 4 years ago and 1 got past me she sorta hid a couple days ago.. the baby was very underdeveloped and old lived 36 hours.. I have not decided if I will allow them to have anotherā€¦ I was just thinking maybe a companion for my 4 year old (cockatiel) heā€™s so lonely since his doggie died.. but you are so right and wasnā€™t even thinking like that.. he is so spoiled he may not like anyone..

Most Reactions