Bonding with a newly adopted Conure

Kamarro

Sep 12, 2021
Parrots
Conure and Budgie
Hi! Iā€™m am a new bird mom. I recently adopted through a pet store a (green cheek?) conure. Iā€™ll attach a picture. Anyways, I know I have to acclimate her to him (I just assume because of not knowing sex) new home, how can I bond with her. Any tips and tricks? He is rather nippy per store, but he isnā€™t handled like most pet birds. I want to respect him and not stress him out. So I would love any tips, articles, videos. !

Attachments

• 3222BF46-0E7C-49EF-A8DF-2AD21EA018B8.jpeg
    3222BF46-0E7C-49EF-A8DF-2AD21EA018B8.jpeg
    292.1 KB · Views: 148

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Congratulations, welcome to you and your conure! Looks like a Green Cheek though I'm not our resident conure expert!

Sharing a few threads beginning with bondin/building trust:: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

If biting continues, consider Bite Pressure and Clicker Training:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the Forums, Kelsey, and congratulations on your new and very cute conure baby! Don't forget to tell us his/her name will you??

Green cheeked conures (GCCs) can indeed be a little nippy, and can also be prone to a little thing they call "cage aggression". This is where they come to view their cage and everything in it as their territory and defend it quite vigorously, and often comes more exaggerated when they reach sexual maturity which can occur anywhere between 1 and 2 years of age, sometimes even later. The best way to curb nippiness is to not allow it to become entrenched in the first place. Many GCC owners use the "shunning" method to accomplish this. It involves gently popping the bird down in a neutral spot if he bites you, somewhere like the back of a chair or the floor if safe to do so, but not back in or on his cage as this may be exactly what he wants! If he flies or walks there himself that's ok, but you don't want to put him back there yourself. You should then turn your back on him or leave the room for a minute or two, making zero eye contact with him. Conures love attention so he will realise fairly quickly that this biting business will not be tolerated. It is important that every member of your household follows this procedure in order to make it stick - GCCs are also master manipulators and will take full advantage of anyone who is not on board with this method!

Personally I also advocate a wellness check at a certified avian vet whenever a new baby is brought into the household. This is important to establish a baseline of health and to rule out any illnesses he may have picked up at the breeder or from the pet shop, and unfortunately there are a couple of nasties that are relatively common. The following link may help you to find a vet near you if you are not already familiar with one...

It's also good to have a relationship with a bird vet because they are an absolute GOLD MINE when it comes to help and advice with behaviour, as well as having an established health record at their fingertips in the event that your bird has a sudden health emergency.

Other than this, GCCs are delightful little birds and I know that yours will have you wrapped around his little claw in no time flat. I'm looking forward to sharing your journey with him and you :)

OP
Kamarro

Kamarro

Sep 12, 2021
Parrots
Conure and Budgie
Welcome to the Forums, Kelsey, and congratulations on your new and very cute conure baby! Don't forget to tell us his/her name will you??

Green cheeked conures (GCCs) can indeed be a little nippy, and can also be prone to a little thing they call "cage aggression". This is where they come to view their cage and everything in it as their territory and defend it quite vigorously, and often comes more exaggerated when they reach sexual maturity which can occur anywhere between 1 and 2 years of age, sometimes even later. The best way to curb nippiness is to not allow it to become entrenched in the first place. Many GCC owners use the "shunning" method to accomplish this. It involves gently popping the bird down in a neutral spot if he bites you, somewhere like the back of a chair or the floor if safe to do so, but not back in or on his cage as this may be exactly what he wants! If he flies or walks there himself that's ok, but you don't want to put him back there yourself. You should then turn your back on him or leave the room for a minute or two, making zero eye contact with him. Conures love attention so he will realise fairly quickly that this biting business will not be tolerated. It is important that every member of your household follows this procedure in order to make it stick - GCCs are also master manipulators and will take full advantage of anyone who is not on board with this method!

Personally I also advocate a wellness check at a certified avian vet whenever a new baby is brought into the household. This is important to establish a baseline of health and to rule out any illnesses he may have picked up at the breeder or from the pet shop, and unfortunately there are a couple of nasties that are relatively common. The following link may help you to find a vet near you if you are not already familiar with one...

It's also good to have a relationship with a bird vet because they are an absolute GOLD MINE when it comes to help and advice with behaviour, as well as having an established health record at their fingertips in the event that your bird has a sudden health emergency.

Other than this, GCCs are delightful little birds and I know that yours will have you wrapped around his little claw in no time flat. I'm looking forward to sharing your journey with him and you :)
Thank you so so so much! Ive named him Clyde, after my late dads middle name. I love him so much already. He bit me once during the transition from transport box into cage but so far I have left him be to acclimate. But wondering how long to let him adjust, they said about 3-4 days. But i donā€™t want him to get more cage aggressive. I go in there and I talk to him softly and slow movements. And he fluffs up. No eye dialation. But the room has a lot of natural light so Iā€™m not sure if that reducing the amount of dilation. So I'm not sure if itā€™s aggressive fluff or comfy fluff.

I am over the moon for my two little birdies. šŸ„°šŸ„°

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I've seen a few YouTubers :rolleyes: who advocate leaving a new bird in their cage for up to a week to settle in to a new home. I have never personally done this with any of mine and I think you'd quite easily be able to assess whether Clyde (very cute name btw :) )is comfortable in his new surroundings or not - individual results vary as they say!

You'll also want to be very careful of your budgie that he doesn't get his toes nipped climbing about on the outside of Clyde's cage. My absolutely terrible little lorikeet is VERY fond of trying to grab my budgie's toes whenever he does this. In an effort to try to combat it, I've attached a seagrass cargo net to the top of each of their cages with cable ties, like so...

KDCE93h.jpg

It's by no means a guarantee that he never gets his toes nipped but it has cut down on the incidence quite a lot. Unfortunately at least one of our members has a budgie who has lost a couple of toes to a GCC's beak so it is something to be aware of.

OP
Kamarro

Kamarro

Sep 12, 2021
Parrots
Conure and Budgie
Thank you! he was pretty stressed today. Maybe tomorrow Iā€™ll start working on training and bonding! I appreciate your feedback.

Watters7

Aug 27, 2018
CT
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
Hi! Iā€™m am a new bird mom. I recently adopted through a pet store a (green cheek?) conure. Iā€™ll attach a picture. Anyways, I know I have to acclimate her to him (I just assume because of not knowing sex) new home, how can I bond with her. Any tips and tricks? He is rather nippy per store, but he isnā€™t handled like most pet birds. I want to respect him and not stress him out. So I would love any tips, articles, videos. !
We have a green cheek conure. Her name is Booboo. And yes, we know she's a girl because she had some health issues a couple of years ago and we had her dna tested.
Booboo is a delight. We never had any problems with her since she was adopted at a local Petco. She may nip if your finger is too close to the the treat, but overall, she's a delight. She says "hello", "hello baby" and "see you soon". She visits her parakeet friends occasionally. I let her sit on top of their cage. Sometimes, I let her in, but am right there to monitor them. Never had a problem though when she went inside for her visit. Enjoy your conure!

Most Reactions

Latest posts