Broody Senegal

Redpeny

Jan 2, 2022
Ramona
Parrots
Senegal
I have a solitary female Senegal that laid 3 eggs around Christmas and is now very broody. I know I canā€™t afford to buy a male at this time(wish I could)and not sure how she would respond to male but was looking for suggestions like if there is anyone that possibly has fertile egg/s for her to set on or a male they would like to breed? She is first bird other then chickens that wants to set on eggs I have had finches, parakeets and a macaw and they did not set on eggs?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hello,
A lot goes into breeding and successfully raising chick's to adulthood . Many things can go wrong, splayed legs , twisted beaks , from humidity, Egg rotation, substrate, and nutrition.
Many chick's don't make it from improper hand raising, temperature, formula temperature, coorect feeding intervals and amount, cleanliness, fungal, yeast, or bacterial overgrowth

Many pet birds will lay eggs from time to time. But we all try and discouraged it. None of us want to loose ours to egg binding.

Parrots as highly intelligent species, general just don't mate with strangers. They choose their mate and bond with them, often waiting a year or years before attempting to raise a family.

I'm sharing a link written by another member

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hello,
A lot goes into breeding and successfully raising chick's to adulthood . Many things can go wrong, splayed legs , twisted beaks , from humidity, Egg rotation, substrate, and nutrition.
Many chick's don't make it from improper hand raising, temperature, formula temperature, coorect feeding intervals and amount, cleanliness, fungal, yeast, or bacterial overgrowth

Many pet birds will lay eggs from time to time. But we all try and discouraged it. None of us want to loose ours to egg binding.

Parrots as highly intelligent species, general just don't mate with strangers. They choose their mate and bond with them, often waiting a year or years before attempting to raise a family.

I'm sharing a link written by another member
If there is no boy bird, the eggs canā€™t be fertile. It would be an Immaculate Conception!
your birdā€™s egg laying and broodiness doesnā€™t mean she wants to have babies.. it means sheā€™s confused. Somehow her cage looks like a nest to her. She has plenty of food and she loves you. So her body is ā€˜confusedā€™ and started making eggs, and she sits on them trying to hatch them. Which may be frustrating, certainly takes lots of energy and calcium from her body, and makes her be grumpy and inactive.

You need to figure out why your Senegal thinks her cage is a nest. Does she have a dark box to hide in? A dark corner with a towel? Lots of things to shred and chew up? Do you leave the light on for more than 12 hours or feed protein and fat rich foods? Do you pet her a lot on any area besides head or neck? Those thing stimulate reproductive hormone increase and egg laying. But you need to read up on how to discourage breeding behavior in female parrots.

it can be dangerous for a bird to lay eggs. They can get stuck or she can get an infection. I had a female bird who got confused like this and I had to take her to the vet for Lupron injections. Basically depo -provera for birds, to shut down her egg hormones.
I have a male Meyers and he gets crabby if heā€™s around any boxes or dark corners. I get bit because he starts protecting them and gets frustrated. Heā€™s very nasty when this happens and I know itā€™s his hormones and frustration making him bite. Please figure out why your bird thinks she has a nest and change it! But let her sit in her current eggs until she gets tired of it. You donā€™t want her to lay over and over and get sick.

Most Reactions

Latest posts