bruised foot on gcc

birdlady911

Mar 15, 2018
US
this happened a few hours hour ago. my poor baby Leo (gcc 5 y.o.) was sitting on the open door of his cage when I walked by and accidentally bumped into the door. he got a little smooshed, I didn't see exactly where the door hit him but he flew away very quickly...it happened super fast and when I finally got a close look at his feet I saw that one was slightly bruised. it's not noticeable other than with a phone flashlight. at first he had been standing on/off with that foot raised and also kind of preening that foot with his beak. but now he has been standing on both feet. he didnt scream/make any noise when it happened and his behavior is the same (huge appetite, hanging around on the bars of his cage, chirping, beak grindning, taking a bath when I put new water in the cage). would you take your bird to the vet over this? I will take off work and take him to the vet if it seems needed, I just dont want to put him through even more unnecessary trauma bc going to the vet is so stressful for him (and truthfully extremely stressful for me too). I feel sooo bad :cry:

I attached a pic of the bruise. he had just taken a bath before the pic (after the door incident) so this is why he looks a little scruffy lol.

Attachments

• birdy2.jpg
    birdy2.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums! Though Iā€™m sorry to hear about your babyā€™s foot. If heā€™s standing on it and acting normal I think heā€™ll be fine. I would keep an eye on it. If you would like to take him to a vet that is fine too - whatever you prefer and will make you feel most comfortable. If it were me I would monitor it and make sure all continues to be normal over the next few days.

OP
B

birdlady911

Mar 15, 2018
US
Welcome to the forums! Though Iā€™m sorry to hear about your babyā€™s foot. If heā€™s standing on it and acting normal I think heā€™ll be fine. I would keep an eye on it. If you would like to take him to a vet that is fine too - whatever you prefer and will make you feel most comfortable. If it were me I would monitor it and make sure all continues to be normal over the next few days.
thanks so much for your answer!

Most Reactions

Latest posts