Buddy the African Grey

Lynn816

Apr 7, 2021
Parrots
Timneh African Grey, Buddy
Hello All!
I started my journey to bird ownership a little while ago thinking that I would eventually get a smaller, sweet, baby parrot. Never did I imagine that I would end up with a 21 year old, semi-tame, junk-food junkie, cage aggressive, Timneh African Grey - yet here we are! I doubted my sanity as I agreed to take him in from a friend who needed to re-home him, but now that we have Buddy, I couldn’t image it any other way!

Buddy moved in three weeks ago. He came to us on a diet of seed mix in the morning and human food (whatever the previous owners had for dinner) in the evening (potato chips were his love language). He had been handled (with towels to prevent biting) very little. He was scared of everything! He went into attack mode when I tried to place his food bowl. He backed away anytime we came in the room.

I felt like I had bitten off more than I could chew. This was my very first bird and I was so scared that I would not be able to help Buddy have a happier, healthier life. This is where I need to pause to say THANK YOU to every experienced bird owner who has taken the time to make an educational video, write an article, or post a response to someone’s question. Buddy and I would not be where we are today without the resources that so many have taken the time to provide.

Now, to brag on my rockstar bird for a moment. In the three weeks that we have been together, Buddy has switched to eating chop for breakfast and pellets for dinner (the pellets took some work, but he doesn’t seem to mind them now). He steps up and down like a pro. He enjoys spending time on my shoulder and getting scratches. He is becoming more active during the day and starting to play with his toys. He lets me reach in his cage when I need to and is trying something new each day. The perch that he was terrified of last week is now his favorite spot to relax during the day.

We still have some work to do. We went to an avian vet last week and everything looked fantastic except for his blood work shows high cholesterol. The vet and I are both hopeful that his new diet will start to correct this without medication. Buddy is also still not as comfortable with my son (10) or husband. He is with me all day as I work from home, so it makes sense, but we will keep working on building trust with them also. All advice is is welcomed!

26208d1620930706-buddy-african-grey-31bdb0d1-0d4e-4aa1-ae9b-4ec3f021b64d.jpg

Attachments

• 31BDB0D1-0D4E-4AA1-AE9B-4EC3F021B64D.jpg
    31BDB0D1-0D4E-4AA1-AE9B-4EC3F021B64D.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 182
Last edited by a moderator:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Congratulations Lynn816, and welcome to our worldwide virtual flock, Buddy! It already looks like he is making himself right at home :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Buddy, love a rescue story with progress! Three weeks of efforts yielding widespread benefits almost a miracle for typically stubborn Grey.

Change to superior diet may take a while to reduce cholesterol, hopefully better results next test.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Wow! Just. Wow! Greys are notorious for dislike of change, and thus, everything typically happens very slowly. Progress like that in three weeks is absolutely amazing! I dare say, you've been chosen! Congratulations, and thank you for taking in that beautiful, deserving boy. Looking forward to more updates :)

eliekheder

Jan 28, 2013
Hello All!
I started my journey to bird ownership a little while ago thinking that I would eventually get a smaller, sweet, baby parrot. Never did I imagine that I would end up with a 21 year old, semi-tame, junk-food junkie, cage aggressive, Timneh African Grey - yet here we are! I doubted my sanity as I agreed to take him in from a friend who needed to re-home him, but now that we have Buddy, I couldn’t image it any other way!

Buddy moved in three weeks ago. He came to us on a diet of seed mix in the morning and human food (whatever the previous owners had for dinner) in the evening (potato chips were his love language). He had been handled (with towels to prevent biting) very little. He was scared of everything! He went into attack mode when I tried to place his food bowl. He backed away anytime we came in the room.

I felt like I had bitten off more than I could chew. This was my very first bird and I was so scared that I would not be able to help Buddy have a happier, healthier life. This is where I need to pause to say THANK YOU to every experienced bird owner who has taken the time to make an educational video, write an article, or post a response to someone’s question. Buddy and I would not be where we are today without the resources that so many have taken the time to provide.

Now, to brag on my rockstar bird for a moment. In the three weeks that we have been together, Buddy has switched to eating chop for breakfast and pellets for dinner (the pellets took some work, but he doesn’t seem to mind them now). He steps up and down like a pro. He enjoys spending time on my shoulder and getting scratches. He is becoming more active during the day and starting to play with his toys. He lets me reach in his cage when I need to and is trying something new each day. The perch that he was terrified of last week is now his favorite spot to relax during the day.

We still have some work to do. We went to an avian vet last week and everything looked fantastic except for his blood work shows high cholesterol. The vet and I are both hopeful that his new diet will start to correct this without medication. Buddy is also still not as comfortable with my son (10) or husband. He is with me all day as I work from home, so it makes sense, but we will keep working on building trust with them also. All advice is is welcomed!

26208d1620930706-buddy-african-grey-31bdb0d1-0d4e-4aa1-ae9b-4ec3f021b64d.jpg

eliekheder

Jan 28, 2013
Thank you for sharing,
I got a similar situation with my Lola except worse.
I got Lola from my brother who did not have time for her in miserable shape as you can see from the first two pictures, she was plucking her feathers to her bare skin, pretty aggressive, bites severely for years, bleeding my fingers and ears.
But with love and time she turned into a peaceful beautiful bird. All it took is love and care (see photos).
My only problem I still got is to have her trained to eat pellets. Any idea? because I tried everything.

Attachments

• PICT0035 old.JPG
    PICT0035 old.JPG
    227.4 KB · Views: 100
  • PICT0037 old.JPG
    PICT0037 old.JPG
    236.9 KB · Views: 91
  • beautiful.jpg
    beautiful.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 95
  • I can clean.jpg
    I can clean.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 89
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 92

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Smokey (Timneh) was an impulse buy from a pet shop. I didn't know much about parrot's in general and always wanted an AG. She was about six months old and was a terror! Bit the hand that fed her,growled like a pack of mad dogs,ran from anything new,would NOT ry new foods (that changed when Amy came a long) She would not step up.
It took YEARS. She began to eat good things...red grapes,not green,they got thrown at me,banana was a fav. She'd rip a chicken leg bone out of my hand. Toilet paper rolls were made to be destroyed. Eventually she'd step up if it was the last resort then immediately fly off to a better/safer place. But she would sit for hours on my shoulder and gurgle in my ear or pull my hair and beak beat my forehead..Her talking was uncanny..said the right thing at the right time. She's been gone 6 years now and is missed everyday.

Sounds like Buddy is coming around! Welcome to you and Buddy to the forum!

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts