Budgerigar as eaten Poinsettia! Please help!

SushiBird

Dec 19, 2020
Hi all!
Today, I got the alert from my family that my budgerigar has eaten poinsettia. What are some symptoms of him eating it or being sick from poinsettia? I don't want to lose him, he's only a year old! Please help!
Thanks!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I dunno for sure but:

Q: I've always heard that poinsettias are poisonous to kids and pets. My husband says that's hogwash. Who's right?

Like the Christmas myths about Santa Claus, flying reindeer, and a toy workshop in the North Pole, the belief that poinsettias are poisonous is FALSE.

No one is sure how this myth started, although it's often attributed to the 1919 death of a girl whose parents thought she had eaten poinsettia leaves. The truth is, a kid would have to eat about 500 poinsettia leaves to get sick.

"There haven't been any deaths reported due to eating poinsettia leaves,” Wahl says.

That's not to say they're harmless. If a child eats enough poinsettia leaves (say five), he may become nauseated or throw up. But he's not going to die. And he's probably not going to eat more than one or two bites in the first place because the leaves are "reported to have an unpleasant taste,” Wahl says.

Here's what you should worry about your child swallowing during the holidays: holly berries (which are toxic), alcohol left in glasses, and small ornaments that look like food.

WebMD Magazine - Feature Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD on August 12, 2011

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry I don't know.

But budgies love leafy greens. That are safe for them like Swiss chard, romaine lettuce. Fresh Spinach, those should all be part of their diet. And also many other fresh vegetables. Like celery with leaves too, broccoli, bell pepper, green beans, carrots its a long list. But they love them and crave them .

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Poinsettias' are toxic, but as stated above, it's an issue of volume. Budgerigar and a full leaf of Poinsettia 'may' have your Bird's pooping far more than normal and on the watery side. Assure fresh water is available! If the poop does not return to normal within 36 hours of starting, its off to the Avian Medical Profession for a quick check and possibly something to settle the digestive system.

Wait! What, Say its not true Juston! "Like the Christmas myths about Santa Claus, flying reindeer, and a toy workshop in the North Pole, the belief that poinsettias are poisonous is FALSE." I have grandkids that would beg to differ!!! :D

Most Reactions