Budgie Behavior - experience and thoughts

Katrina38

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Roscoe- english budgie
Hi! Our little Roscoe is a complex puzzle - he has gotten really chill around us in the last few months and loves going on adventures around the house. Here is where I"m confused... when I approach him on his cage or his outside perch - he runs over to me, puffs up and basically leans in like he wants me to groom him (he will rub heads with my forehead and sometimes he will make a kiss sound while doing so), but if I bring up my hand to give him actual scratches he makes the warning sound before a bite (you know the classic I don't like this budgie sound). He will step on hands from time to time and will eat from my hand (as long as its seeds.. another issue for another day).. but mostly he steps up on a stick. I feel so bad (especially since he is going through a heavy molt). Its almost like he is looking for preening, but I'm only allowed to touch him with my head. Anyone else's bird do this? Any thoughts? Maybe this isn't even what he is doing? Also, unrelated - I'm curious why he barely ever flies. When we first got him he would fly all the time .. now he might make a lap 1x a day and that is it .... he never flies off of us or even really to the high books anymore - possibly because of the molt? All insight and thoughts are welcome - just trying to figure this little guy out.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
some birds are hand shy, but they can get over it... Try a long sleeve garment and tuck your hands inside it so its just a cloth stub... I bet he/she might just hop on. Worth a shot.

OP
Katrina38

Katrina38

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Roscoe- english budgie
This is a great tip. Cozy is hand shy too. Also, I enjoy the phrase “cloth stub” 😂
Yes, it was a great suggestion. We worked up to my hand - he jumps on my hand no problem - just not my finger. I'll take it. I just feel bad because I want to help him with his never ending pin feathers... but he has only let me pet him a few times so far/ we aren't there yet. :)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
That's why we are here...to help each other out.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Something else to try when its dark lights are off and time for sleepy... if and only if the bird allows.....try petting then. a few of my budgies will let me pet on the perch when they otherwise would jump away....

ONLY IF THEY ALOW....

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I know I got some of my budgies to allow petting by using my nose to rub their head. It seems less scary than fingers. Then again, you can also get your nose bitten.

OP
Katrina38

Katrina38

Mar 23, 2022
Parrots
Roscoe- english budgie
I know I got some of my budgies to allow petting by using my nose to rub their head. It seems less scary than fingers. Then again, you can also get your nose bitten.
Yes, he like to bump foreheads and we rub the top of our heads together and yes, I've gotten my cheek bitten a couple of times. haha

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
Meh, budgies bites don't hurt. Any interaction is a plus.

One of mine the yellow one makes a point is not afraid of me and will "bite" I pull back and go owe! I figure with him he might be more emboldened to shoulder on me if he thinks he's alpha.

CosiGirl

Apr 2, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Sure can, I tried this on the top of Cozy’s head yesterday. Nose bite 😆 She is starting to climb on my eyeglasses though, like the lenses and upper frame (not the side part like a normal bird) But, I’ll take it!!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
All they have to do is see you are not a foe....then your good to go......no sudden movements and of course give treats!

Most Reactions