Budgie broken wing

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Hello. I was posting here something recently. As always, I had 0 replies for my post, but thank you.
My beloved female budgie Cicinka might suffer some mycosis. The x ray showed some non typical changes which might show the fungus in respiratory, or some chronic infectious granulomas... I was said.
I started to inhale Cicinka yesterday....Put her alone in the cage and inhale her... Unfortunately, like I was taking her from the cage, her right wing stucked in the bars ( I do not know exactly how it happened ), and I broke her wing. Yesterday one vet doctor did her some bandage with self sticking bandage, but it looked like my budgie would be paralyzed, so I asked her to remove that. She gave her some pain relief injection and antibiotics injection for 7 days. Today another vet fixed that wing in anesthesia with some plaster. The broken part is on the upper top of the wing, metacarpal fracture, or something like that. I do not know how many feathers are affected.... Do anybody have an experience with something like that, if a budgie can fly after some time after such injury? Thank you.

Attachments

• moja milovana Cicinka, kridielko.jpg
    moja milovana Cicinka, kridielko.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 243

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
It depends on the break and how it was set. Some birds do fly again - you might need to do some physio, but they do regain full-flight. But if the break is bad or if the bone isn't set properly or doesn't heal properly for some reason, then she might not be able to fly.

In terms of feathers, feathers will always grow back unless the follicle was damaged (external source of damage or internal/illness source of damage).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Broken wings in some sense are like broken legs for us. Depends how badly broken, and how it was reset, and if any nerve damage occurred. Example - I broke my lower left leg in a bike accident, about as bad as you can break it, with bones sticking out of the skin, and a handful of gravel in the open break. Took 2 years to heal and I still have some nerve damage. But I can walk, but not run. Time will tell with your budgie.

DestinyCall

May 5, 2020
It will depend on the severity of the break and how it heals. Only time will tell how your bird will do.

As a general rule, small birds have a better chance of recovering fully after a broken wing. Larger birds, like big parrots, falcons, or owls, are more likely to have problems, since the damaged wing must support more weight.

For now, the best thing to do is follow your vet's instructions and be patient. It will take six to eight weeks for the bone to mend itself. During that time, try to minimize stress to the bird and provide good nutritional support to help the bird recover quickly.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Thank you for your replies. Wrench, you used one sentence which is hard for me to understand.:)
My budgie has some metacarpal fracture on the side large wing feathers... the tops of them are broken.... One my budgie in the past had a broken wing in the joing of the wing. Ha was 6 months in the cage and then he was able to fly pretty good after that in the room.
My budgie Cicinka has some plaster bandage on that, it is sticky, so I hope when the vet will put it off, he will not hurt her with that.... I was recommended to keep her at least for one week in this absolutely tiny small cage.. then I would like to put her in the larger cage... and maybe after 1 - 2 months to let her fly if possible.

This is the second problem with occured now. She has some other problem, like I was describing it in other new thread several weeks ago. Maybe long breeding caused that... She was bought with chlamydiosis, her eyes cornea stayed red, like she would be a patologic carrier of chlamydiosis. She might have some chronic infectious granulomas or some mycosis, she has abnormal siluete on the x ray... It is not possible to diagnose it exactly in budgies... so I started to inhale her with anti fungus medication, and like I was taking her out of the cage, her wing got stuck....
I just can not see also from that plaster whether the wings is recovering, or there is some black dying part of that wing... It is hard to recognize that.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
Thank you, I am from Slovakia, not close to this vet., clinique, but thank you.

OP
I

Ivan.Vanca

Nov 3, 2019
Slovakia
Parrots
budgies
She is my bird, so I have to help her... but I probably accidentally caused that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts