Budgie flirting with new lovebird? Help?

ChatterBoxBirds

Oct 29, 2021
Parrots
Jasper-Lovebird||Teapot-Budgie||Murphy-Budgie||Echo-Cockatiel<Passed away>
Hello! Iā€™m new here but this is something Iā€™m very concerned about!
Recently (about 2 weeks ago) we adopted a new lovebird, Jasper. We donā€™t know if they are a male or female, but due to recent events I think they may be female.
My budgie, Teapot, got along with them almost immediately, and Jasper got along with him too. They arenā€™t in the same cage, but I let them fly around my room together. So far there has been almost no aggression at all.
I started to notice Teapot begin to treat them like a mate? He constantly wants to be around them, he will wiggle his head around to regurgitate, and attempts to preen them. He never actually regurgitated until today. I immediately separated them, but Teapot bounced around his cage trying to get to Jasper.
From the research Iā€™ve done so far, breeding them is impossible.
But I am worried that this will cause hormonal issues in both of them, or that one of them could potentially be hurt.
And if breeding them somehow is possible (I wouldnā€™t mind having a few more birds, so thatā€™s not the issue), Iā€™m worried that the chicks would have health issues or die early. Teapot is about 2yrs old, and Jasper is about 3-4 months, but eating solid food and does not need baby care.
What should I do? Has anyone else had to deal with this?

Edit/Update- Teapot has been attempting to mate with Jasper, and Jasper gets very angry. Teapot has also been getting more aggressive towards me (not a lot, but itā€™s out of character).
Dunno what anyone could do with this info, but I thought I should add it anyways.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
its ok.
Teapot us just excited to have a friend. Likely will calm down again. Flock mates can regurgitate to each other in a friend's and family way not always as a mate way. ( tho budgie are horn dogs)

All 3 of my budgies regurgitate to each other once in awhile. My mixed flock regurgitate across species line to each other here and there . My avian vet and I think this family bonding.

Dec 9, 2021
Media
Parrots
Moon the budgie (M, 2y.o)
Silvia the budgie (F, 1/2y.o)
It's spelled Silvia not Sylvia
Teapot probably just loves his new friend! I know a friend who has 2 females (I have a female and male) and they regurgitate on eachother all the time. Preening is a definite sign of good friends! My birds aren't mated, and they still regurgitate and preen the other all the time!

Most Reactions

Latest posts