Budgie has puffed up chest

Ronan265

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Budgie
This morning my budgie was acting and looked completely normal, flying around and chirping away. I had him in his cage for around 7 hours while I was at school and when I got back his chest was all puffed out and he was acting a bit weird. He is flying less and barely chirping and he seems a bit scared of me. Although, he is eating a lot (more then usual), chewing everything (he doesn't chew much stuff normally). Everything else about him seems normal, his poop, preening and fluffing up.

Edit: He is about 9 weeks old

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
While it sounds very scary to see your feathery friend suddenly look different from when you first left them, there could be a few reasons for this.

When it gets a bit colder, the birds (budgies too!) tend to fluff up to preserve heat. This is normal.

Was it already dark when you came back? In evenings birds are less active and are getting ready for sleeping. Even our budgie will just fluff up, be calm and silent. Or simply it was resting, birds will fluff up when resting.

If the bird is innactive and fluffed up during the whole day, and sleeping most of the day, (especially few days in a row!) in that case I highly suggest to drop to an avian vet as soon as possible. Problem with birds is they hide illnesses so well, so first physical symptoms we see on a bird are often serious symptoms an should be treated immediately. A Certified Avian vet is highly suggested as many many normal vets don't understand birds much and often misdiagnose them and cannot treat properly.

OP
R

Ronan265

Sep 26, 2021
Parrots
Budgie
While it sounds very scary to see your feathery friend suddenly look different from when you first left them, there could be a few reasons for this.

When it gets a bit colder, the birds (budgies too!) tend to fluff up to preserve heat. This is normal.

Was it already dark when you came back? In evenings birds are less active and are getting ready for sleeping. Even our budgie will just fluff up, be calm and silent. Or simply it was resting, birds will fluff up when resting.

If the bird is innactive and fluffed up during the whole day, and sleeping most of the day, (especially few days in a row!) in that case I highly suggest to drop to an avian vet as soon as possible. Problem with birds is they hide illnesses so well, so first physical symptoms we see on a bird are often serious symptoms an should be treated immediately. A Certified Avian vet is highly suggested as many many normal vets don't understand birds much and often misdiagnose them and cannot treat properly.
Sorry if I was unclear but this is not the first time I left him on his own, I have been going to school for 3 weeks now, it is not his feathers that are fluffed up there is an actual lump on his chest, I am beginning to believe he just ate too much today and it is built up in his crop or something.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Even when the crop is full it shouldn't really be that visible all the time. While we can sit here and make assumptions maybe it's best to go and have a vet visit to rule out any illnesses.

Emeral

Sep 16, 2021
Parrots
Hanhs Macaw
Could you take a photo of him and show us? A Picture speaks a thousand word.

And how many hours or days has he been puffed up? Is there anybody who has access to your bird while you're at school?

Most Reactions

Latest posts