Budgie/Parakeet care questions - looking to improve

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
Hello! I have a single male parakeet named Wink. I want him to be as happy as he can be under my care, so I am here to find out what I can do better on and what I am doing wrong.

My setup -
14x16x20 inch cage (😭)
3 different sized perches (I have heard it is better for their feet if the perches have some variety)
3 toys
a swing
the cage is set up in my bedroom. Wink gets playtime out of his cage while I work at my desk, which is

I am planning on getting a bigger cage . I am re designing my space and will have a lot more options for where to put a cage. so I guess my first questions are

1. What is the optimal cage size for a single parakeet?
2. What is the best height for a parakeet cage?
3. Would Wink be happier with another parakeet?
4. What would the optimal cage size for 2 parakeets be?
5. Is a male/female pair better than two males?

note - Wink lived with my sister's male parakeet for about a year, before my sister decided to separate them and get herself a female. I was NOT in favor of separating them, though I will admit that her male parakeet seems to enjoy the female so much more than he enjoyed living with Wink.

Moving on, I have a couple questions about diet. Wink currently eats a seed mix and occasionally gets millet. I have offered him a huge variety of fruits and veggies and he won’t touch them. I have heard that pellets are better for parakeets, but dont know what to look for

- What is a good feed for a parakeet?
- How often can Wink have millet?
- How can I encourage Wink to eat fruits and veggies?

someone once told me that parakeets need grit, like what chicks and ducklings get. Is this true?

A random question. Is it safe to layer the bottom of his cage with paper bedding? Most bird cages have a wire floor, just above the tray. Mine doesn’t, so I layer down a thin layer of paper bedding to help absorb the moisture from the poo, and it hides it rather well too.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
As big as your budget and the space in your home allows. A 32 x 37 x 21 inch cage is ideal. Slightly smaller is ok. It depends on how long the bird is out.

2. What is the best height for a parakeet cage?
Already answered this one (37 in. is good). But wider cages are better than tall ones.

3. Would Wink be happier with another parakeet?
Is he showing signs of loneliness? Are you unable to give him all the attention he needs? If the answer to these questions is "yes", then maybe look into getting a second budgie.

4. What would the optimal cage size for 2 parakeets be?
Depends on how long they're out. A flight cage like the one I described above is fine for up to about three budgies.

5. Is a male/female pair better than two males?
No. Two males tend to get along very well. And male/female pairs could start breeding. Then again, there is never any guarantee that two birds get along. You need a second cage if this happens.

- What is a good feed for a parakeet?
Harrison's, Top's, or Roudybush pellets as a base. Daily vegetables and chop are important.

- How often can Wink have millet?
Daily but in small quantities. Use for taming and training. Millet is a reward, never free-feed.

- How can I encourage Wink to eat fruits and veggies?
Sprinkle seed on them. Experiment with how you serve. Eat them in front of him. And birds do NOT need fruit. Fruit is high in sugar. It makes a good treat on occasion if the bird likes it.

Someone once told me that parakeets need grit, like what chicks and ducklings get. Is this true?
NO, not at all. Never feed grit to any parrot. Budgies are no exception.

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
As big as your budget and the space in your home allows. A 32 x 37 x 21 inch cage is ideal. Slightly smaller is ok. It depends on how long the bird is out.
Is that length x width x height?
Is he showing signs of loneliness? Are you unable to give him all the attention he needs? If the answer to these questions is "yes", then maybe look into getting a second budgie.
He doesn’t act lonely, and I interact with him nearly every day. Either hold him on my finger for a while or let him fly around.
How can I encourage Wink to eat fruits and veggies?
Sprinkle seed on them. Experiment with how you serve. Eat them in front of him. And birds do NOT need fruit. Fruit is high in sugar. It makes a good treat on occasion if the bird likes it.
I will try this!

thank you so much for all your help! I will start looking into a bigger cage right away, now that I know what I am looking for. What are your thoughts on a homemade cage, with 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch welded wire? Perhaps I should make a second thread with questions about a homemade cage?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Is that length x width x height?

He doesn’t act lonely, and I interact with him nearly every day. Either hold him on my finger for a while or let him fly around.

I will try this!

thank you so much for all your help! I will start looking into a bigger cage right away, now that I know what I am looking for. What are your thoughts on a homemade cage, with 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch welded wire? Perhaps I should make a second thread with questions about a homemade cage?
1. No, it's width x height x length
2. Ok, then no need for a companion
3. That's great! Let us know how it goes
4. You're welcome :D

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
What are your thoughts on a homemade/DIY cage with untreated wood and welded wire? I have heard that 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch welded wire is perfect for parakeets? I have some from other projects, so it would be great if I could use it. Should I make a separate thread on this?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
What are your thoughts on a homemade/DIY cage with untreated wood and welded wire? I have heard that 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch welded wire is perfect for parakeets? I have some from other projects, so it would be great if I could use it. Should I make a separate thread on this?
Separate thread, would get more replies.
But I recommend sticking with the normal metal cages, the ones you find online or at a bird store.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I agree with cage size recommended that you already received.

In general I'm for budgies having a friend, I recommend another male. I have 3 males .

My budgies like having a wide perch option and 85% of the time choose the widest perches I have for the other parrots. Have fun with perches and toys mix it up, you can rotate them in. Add tome on the outside and top.

Try offering the veggies on a plate when outside the cage. Often burds will explore them better when out of the cage. Offer a little boiled egg with a piece of the boiled egg shell from time to time. A mineral block and cuttlefish bone but no grit.

Mine all have free access to parakeets seed mix. As well as fresh veggies twice a day. I have different pellets in dishes for my other parrots and they jump in and eat those as well. I give millet spray twice a week .

Here is stuff I have around for mine to use. Though I didn't pictures the budgies using them , they do! They use everything my other do, and chomp on everything
The last picture in thread above i stuff veggies in a millet holder, easy and very tempting if you hang around beak height! Budgies should want to give a few nibbles!
I'm sure the breeze it was to have mine chomping on veggies was watching and learning from flock. So play and eat with him, even show him video of other parrots or budgies eating veggies might help.

Last edited:
OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
I agree with cage size recommended that you already received.

In general I'm for budgies having a friend, I recommend another male. I have 3 males .
Ok. My fear with having 2 or more is that they will be more interested in eachother and want nothing to do with me... Do you think that 2 would do well in a 30x20 inch cage? I would like to make it bigger than that, but just using it as a base example.

____----___----____----____----____----____----

37 inches sounds awfully tall... is 24 inches not tall enough?

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Welcome! I don't know much about budgies, but here is a thread by one of our resident budgie-whisperers. I hope you enjoy it.

9lhIlM0.jpg

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
Welcome! I don't know much about budgies, but here is a thread by one of our resident budgie-whisperers. I hope you enjoy it.

9lhIlM0.jpg
Thank you! Will definitely read it!

OP
Wink05

Wink05

Dec 30, 2021
Virginia
Parrots
1 parakeet named Wink
yes 2 might prefer each other and leave you out. But mine all came untamed and one chose to be my friend.
Wink is very tame right now. He actually came very used to human interaction, which surprised us as he was from our local Petsmart. Do you think he would still enjoy human interaction, or not care anymore because he had a friend? I have a friend who has a very gentle but not especially tame male they are looking to rehome who I quite like.

Most Reactions

Latest posts