CAG Questions

Lady523

Apr 29, 2021
I have my own CAG thats a female that I have had for many years. Her cage is outside but she comes indoors very often. My sister's husband also has a CAG but they are moving to a smaller place and they won't be able to take him. They decided to give him to me so I placed his cage next to mines. My question is would the birds be ok being next to each other? Would they become mates (they believe theirs is a male) from separate cages? If they seem to be getting along will it be a good idea to place them together in his cage as it is much bigger than hers? If they ever take him away (they expect to be living at their new place for a long time so who knows if they will even ever take him) will they get depressed without each other even being in separate cages? He is also said to be aggressive with everyone except my sister's husband dad who raised him. If they were put together or even in separate cages will my grey stop being as sweet? Thank you in advance if you answer any of these questions. I am just trying to figure out the best way forward and I thought some of your great insight in CAG behavior will be very helpful. :grey:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Generally a good idea to quarantine incoming bird for 30 to 45 days and have a well-checkup with avian vet if possible. No guarantees any two or more birds will like each other, though living in separate but adjacent cages usually not a problem. Watch for clues of interest such as displaying to each other, trying to preen through the bars, etc. First introduce on neutral territory such as free standing perch or playpen. Body language a huge clue for whether to progress. Never leave unsupervised unless temperaments are convincing. If they get along, normally best to combine in largest cage possible. You might consider the smaller cage part of the playground apparatus.

Parrots can develop extraordinarily close bonds and feel separation anxiety. Greys known to be extremely sensitive, stubbornly resistant to change.

OP
L

Lady523

Apr 29, 2021
Generally a good idea to quarantine incoming bird for 30 to 45 days and have a well-checkup with avian vet if possible. No guarantees any two or more birds will like each other, though living in separate but adjacent cages usually not a problem. Watch for clues of interest such as displaying to each other, trying to preen through the bars, etc. First introduce on neutral territory such as free standing perch or playpen. Body language a huge clue for whether to progress. Never leave unsupervised unless temperaments are convincing. If they get along, normally best to combine in largest cage possible. You might consider the smaller cage part of the playground apparatus.

Parrots can develop extraordinarily close bonds and feel separation anxiety. Greys known to be extremely sensitive, stubbornly resistant to change.

I will follow this advice and try to quarantine and take to vet. I?ll keep a close eye on both of them and see how they interact through the bars and give them time to get used to one another. If they seem good and lots of time has passed that they have gotten very used to each other maybe I?ll try putting them on neutral grounds which would be fun as the owners said he was aggressive and won?t come out. Thanks for the advice, it gave me a better idea on how to go forward. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts