Cage cover

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
I'm planning on making a cage cover for my two conures and wondering if black out fabric would be fine to use ?

We have it majorly on sale at work and it'd be a lot better then dealing with a couple blankets on the cage and the bulk of it.

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Hi Alfie!

Is the material breathable?

While looking for a dark colored cotton or linen material, I found a generous sized remnant of a slightly stretchy, knit, soft, thin material to use as a cage cover instead. Maybe a nylon blend, not sure, definitely breathable with the weave. It’s not very attractive, but it does the job as needed. ☺️ I’ve secured two layers together with a large button and just a little sewing that allows it to be easily used as a single layer during warmer months, or doubled up in the winter.

👇 here is a photo of the material against the light, stretched out simply by gravity. You can see what it looks like as a single layer, and doubled. It drapes nicely and doesn’t unravel, so I haven’t taken the time to finish the edges. Just the big button as a landmark at the ‘apex’, and a little sewing along the corners that align with the top corners of the cage. The button helps me to drape it over the cage as intended.

It does not filter light completely, but it allows me to have a little light on when they’re sleeping without turning them into night owls. 🦉 Drafty air is at least minimized.

Maybe that helps with your project.

Happy 2023! 🎉

Laura

Attachments

• 17463960-04AD-4B32-B7F4-7443D44503DD.jpeg
    17463960-04AD-4B32-B7F4-7443D44503DD.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 46
OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Hi Alfie!

Is the material breathable?

While looking for a dark colored cotton or linen material, I found a generous sized remnant of a slightly stretchy, knit, soft, thin material to use as a cage cover instead. Maybe a nylon blend, not sure, definitely breathable with the weave. It’s not very attractive, but it does the job as needed. ☺️ I’ve secured two layers together with a large button and just a little sewing that allows it to be easily used as a single layer during warmer months, or doubled up in the winter.

👇 here is a photo of the material against the light, stretched out simply by gravity. You can see what it looks like as a single layer, and doubled. It drapes nicely and doesn’t unravel, so I haven’t taken the time to finish the edges. Just the big button as a landmark at the ‘apex’, and a little sewing along the corners that align with the top corners of the cage. The button helps me to drape it over the cage as intended.

It does not filter light completely, but it allows me to have a little light on when they’re sleeping without turning them into night owls. 🦉 Drafty air is at least minimized.

Maybe that helps with your project.

Happy 2023! 🎉

Laura
I'm not to sure, its a complete black out fabric , tis why I posted here

Photos you shared are definitely to light that I would need as their cage is located in the livingroom and I tend to be in there with lights on till 10 at night.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I made one using black linen material. Just make sure the material u use is not coated with some type of rubber or other material. My black out curtains have a rubber like backing - no good for parrots!

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
I made one using black linen material. Just make sure the material u use is not coated with some type of rubber or other material. My black out curtains have a rubber like backing - no good for parrots!
No rubber to it, I believe it is just weaved or layered as the outside has typical colors or patterns then a black inner lining and the fabric pattern on the back.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
No rubber to it, I believe it is just weaved or layered as the outside has typical colors or patterns then a black inner lining and the fabric pattern on the back.
I'm almost positive it's a polyester yarn black out fabric

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
I'm almost positive it's a polyester yarn black out fabric
Can you use the black out fabric on top, like the ‘crown’ of the cover, and a lighter fabric as the ‘skirt’ to ensure breathability? Sleeping is done at the top of the cage anyway, correct?

Sounds like a lot of work, but I’d be careful using black out material. For it to truly be black out, it needs to be dense. Material for curtains is also made to trap air, as an added layer of insulation to reduce heating/cooling needs. Sounds like it could get stuffy under there for living, breathing creatures. Although if the design was loose at the bottom allowing for air circulation… not sure, you have to use your best judgment and imagine what it’d be like sleeping under it as a sensitive creature.

I have known a lady who often slept with a blanket over her head, but that’s a different story. Can you imagine that! And people sleep in tents covered with plastic tarps to keep out the drafts and elements.

Wouldn’t it be nice if birds could actually speak their wants and needs to us?

I’m sure your custom cage cover made with love will be perfect! Mine is far from, but it works. 😊 I was lucky to find the fabric at Walmart as a remnant for just a few dollars. Maybe one of these days I’ll finish it. (Maybe not 🤣)

Happy sewing with love for your littles!

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Can you use the black out fabric on top, like the ‘crown’ of the cover, and a lighter fabric as the ‘skirt’ to ensure breathability? Sleeping is done at the top of the cage anyway, correct?

Sounds like a lot of work, but I’d be careful using black out material. For it to truly be black out, it needs to be dense. Material for curtains is also made to trap air, as an added layer of insulation to reduce heating/cooling needs. Sounds like it could get stuffy under there for living, breathing creatures. Although if the design was loose at the bottom allowing for air circulation… not sure, you have to use your best judgment and imagine what it’d be like sleeping under it as a sensitive creature.

I have known a lady who often slept with a blanket over her head, but that’s a different story. Can you imagine that! And people sleep in tents covered with plastic tarps to keep out the drafts and elements.

Wouldn’t it be nice if birds could actually speak their wants and needs to us?

I’m sure your custom cage cover made with love will be perfect! Mine is far from, but it works. 😊 I was lucky to find the fabric at Walmart as a remnant for just a few dollars. Maybe one of these days I’ll finish it. (Maybe not 🤣)

Happy sewing with love for your littles!
I can better check it out when I get to work, why I want it almost totally black is again they are located in the livingroom and that's were they sleep. They go to bed at 8 30, I'm always till 10-3 am doing things in the livingroom so I don't want the light bothering them.

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
Bear in mind the fabric in the photo is held stretched against a lamp shade so you can see the weave and transparency. The single layer when draped on the cage is neither that transparent nor held directly against light. I didn’t realize it was exactly what I needed until I found it! Not sure what it’d be used for, clothing wise. Maybe an almost opaque, flowy women’s top, layered and flowy pants, or a head covering/hijab. Probably popular here in MN as hijab material. That was my first guess anyway. Seems perfect for that. (Could be a useful search online)

But blackout material sounds like it could be ok, especially when it’s cold, as long as it’s non-toxic and breathable.

Maybe you’ll share your finished product with us!?!

🦜😁🦜

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Bear in mind the fabric in the photo is held stretched against a lamp shade so you can see the weave and transparency. The single layer when draped on the cage is neither that transparent nor held directly against light. I didn’t realize it was exactly what I needed until I found it! Not sure what it’d be used for, clothing wise. Maybe an almost opaque, flowy women’s top, layered and flowy pants, or a head covering/hijab. Probably popular here in MN as hijab material. That was my first guess anyway. Seems perfect for that. (Could be a useful search online)

But blackout material sounds like it could be ok, especially when it’s cold, as long as it’s non-toxic and breathable.

🦜😁🦜
I'll definitely show it later. I just want something lighter then what I'm using now which are 2 kind of bulky blankets

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Search ‘Jersey hijab material’ and go from there?
I'm just going for the fabric in the discount rack, the black out fabric use to be like 50$ per meter and now 6$ per meter and I'll need roughly 5 or 6 meters of fabric

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
I'm just going for the fabric in the discount rack, the black out fabric use to be like 50$ per meter and now 6$ per meter and I'll need roughly 5 or 6 meters of fabric
Yes, material can be expensive. Especially when you consider the time spent on the project, it’s often much less expensive to buy commercially made products.

I was lucky to find the material I did in the remnants at Walmart. It’s definitely a ‘jersey’ material with 4 way stretch. Was not labeled with material contents. Was expecting to need to do more sewing so it didn’t fray at the edges, but that wasn’t necessary. Quick and easy!

I’ve washed it many times and it doesn’t fray. It can hang loosely, or I can tie or tuck corners to secure it tighter. It does catch though, but hasn’t run.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Yes, material can be expensive. Especially when you consider the time spent on the project, it’s often much less expensive to buy commercially made products.

I was lucky to find the material I did in the remnants at Walmart. It’s definitely a ‘jersey’ material with 4 way stretch. Was not labeled with material contents. Was expecting to need to do more sewing so it didn’t fray at the edges, but that wasn’t necessary. Quick and easy!

I’ve washed it many times and it doesn’t fray. It can hang loosely, or I can tie or tuck corners to secure it tighter. It does catch though, but hasn’t run.
I also have a staff discount so it's definitely easier on my wallet then doing it as a non member

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek

🦜😁🦜

Black out polyester on the front and back
A lighter fabric on the sides and top. , the sides I may or may not cut depending how I feel about it tomorrow.

I'll be finishing and fixing everything up tomorrow with hemming the edges for fraying and just cleaning it up period. Done roughly in a hour

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
It only in total costed me 19 bucks for 7 meters of fabric

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Wow! That’s a good deal.

I found a set of flannel sheets and dyed them cobalt blue. They’re pretty thick and cut the light well enough for when I need it.

I’ve also found thick wool cloth in the remainder bin at the thrift store and doubled it to make a winter carrier cover. There was a time when I traveled lots with Lucy in the winter. Sometimes on the bus.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
Wow! That’s a good deal.

I found a set of flannel sheets and dyed them cobalt blue. They’re pretty thick and cut the light well enough for when I need it.

I’ve also found thick wool cloth in the remainder bin at the thrift store and doubled it to make a winter carrier cover. There was a time when I traveled lots with Lucy in the winter. Sometimes on the bus.
The fabric was already 6 and 4 dollars a meter plus 50% off so it wasn't to bad, perfect time to pick some up.

Have enough extra I can make 2 more cage covers as I have their mini travel cage and their medium travel cage.

OP
A

Alfie

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
11 week old Green cheek
The fabric was already 6 and 4 dollars a meter plus 50% off so it wasn't to bad, perfect time to pick some up.

Have enough extra I can make 2 more cage covers as I have their mini travel cage and their medium travel cage.
I have like 4 cages haha, their medium travel cage for when we go camping, their travel cage for vet visits and their large travel cage for visit my moms place and out doors during camping

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet

Black out polyester on the front and back
A lighter fabric on the sides and top. , the sides I may or may not cut depending how I feel about it tomorrow.

I'll be finishing and fixing everything up tomorrow with hemming the edges for fraying and just cleaning it up period. Done roughly in a hour
Well done! Yes, that was a big project.

Most Reactions

Latest posts