Cage critique

lisa06810

Apr 8, 2021
Ocklawaha, FL
Parrots
Kiko- Yellow Sided Green Cheeked Conure (will be home with us the beginning of May. Baby is still being hand fed)
We are about a month out from getting Kiko, the green cheeked conure. He/she is still being hand fed. We have been visiting every week and getting things ready at home. This is what we have for a cage so far. I will have another one, similar, in my office. I work in a room off of my garage so I have another cage for out there. What works, doesn't work with what I have going on? Any suggestions helpful. Thanks all, in advance.

26081d1618014914-cage-critique-kiko-cage.jpg

Attachments

• Kiko cage.jpg
    Kiko cage.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited by a moderator:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Love it. What a lucky burd!
You will need a few more short perches to hang out on and placed near toys . Like those yucca chips, great , mine love those, put a short perch by them.
Place a perch on the outside near the door do can come out and go to that perch. Really helps if they are cage protective of the inside of cage.
And take advantage of the flat top too! Its great to put a long rope perch across the outside top, and lots of stuff up there. Becomes a play stand. I also am a fan of putting an acrylic sheet across tge top. Then no poop falls down on cage perches toys or food dishes. Wipes up easy. Home depot has thrm

One step further is to use ceiling hooks and fishing line, then you can hang one if those rope spirals, swings , hoops , so they hang a few inches above the cage. Great use for that vertical space, abd parrots love to act like monkeys and climb and jump.

Last edited:
OP
L

lisa06810

Apr 8, 2021
Ocklawaha, FL
Parrots
Kiko- Yellow Sided Green Cheeked Conure (will be home with us the beginning of May. Baby is still being hand fed)
I do have a playstand on top now, different sized branch perches with a ladder. But thank you for your suggestions. We saw some of the short rope perches at the store last week, but there were some boxes and we could not get to it. That will go on the outside of the cage by the door. We will be getting a couple when we visit Kiko tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions.:)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Its a lot of fun to add stuff and play around. I'm always trying to promote maximum use and movement. I also use a human serving dish that is shallow and sturdy , with about 2 inches of water, for their bath. Right now I found a huge dip and chip serving platter for their bath. They are loving it. They like choosing when to take a bath. And its just another layer of enrichment, sometimes I float plastic bottle caps in the water. They play with them.

I mentioned the short perches, because both my green cheeks loved to hop perch to perch to perch, like a game, and increased cage use.

The dollar store sells tiny little clear plastic drawer thing, I hide stuff in there for her go openn drawer and find. The dollar store can be fun ways to play. Often things we come up with are better than the toys they sell.

Edit: a great article covers lots if stuff, shouldn't be just for stressed parrots lol, I picked up good tips for my happy parrots
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/stress-reduction-for-parrot-companions/

Last edited:
OP
L

lisa06810

Apr 8, 2021
Ocklawaha, FL
Parrots
I love the dip and chip bowl idea. I see where some people put wet lettuce leaves around. Maybe the middle bowl could have the water, and the outside chip area could have my wet romaine lettuce leaves. Thanks for that!!!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Consider a short perch that can be mounted on the door itself (swing open style door). Locations is important as depending on the style, it can be used to bring the Parrot in and out of the cage.

Perch is mounted to the inside face of the door. The left /right position allows the door to be opened or shut.

IMHO, especially for larger Parrots, I do not favor placement of bowls on the floor of the cage. But that is just me.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
That dark wall to the left makes it awfully shadowy and that coconut hut above the platform could lead to hormonal behavior in a pubescent or adult bird, as it is a shadowy space (you don't want them to have access to shadowy spaces for hormonal reasons).

I would also strongly suggest some natural-style manzanita or dragon wood cross-cage perches or nearly cross cage. You water cups are low, and if this is a young baby, that makes sense if they cannot perch well, but for a bird that can perch, you want them towards the middle so that they are pooping on stuff under them, not in the bowls.

I'm not seeing a lot of wooden toys and that is something that you want them to chew on for keeping beak in check it.

Rope perches should be supervised closely-- birds can get tangled up in them or ingest the fibers. I am not saying you can't use them, but they can be quite dangerous for some.

Will he be in a location where he can get 10-12 hours sleep nightly on a schedule without a lot of noise or light? That is also super important to consider.

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I would like to second what Noodles says about the coconut hut and the rope perch in the cage. My CAV says theyā€™re great for feet but if you have one in the cage, wrap with vet wrap to avoid little strings coming loose and being a danger. Makes the easier to clean too-you just unwrap and rewrap when they get gross!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

lisa06810

Apr 8, 2021
Ocklawaha, FL
Parrots
I did add a few natural bark perches to the cage by the kabob. The food and water bowls do look like the are sitting on the bottom of the cage , but they are not. They are near the bottom door, and I certainly will go out and buy vet wrap for the string perches which are in the cage, and the one I just added to the outside of the top drawer. Thanks for all the advice.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Iā€™ll be the third to suggest close monitoring of the rope toys/perches.

I lost one of my Amazons because she ingested some of her rope perch.

I still have some toys that have/use rope but at the first sign the birds are paying to much attention to the rope I will remove it.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I did add a few natural bark perches to the cage by the kabob. The food and water bowls do look like the are sitting on the bottom of the cage , but they are not. They are near the bottom door, and I certainly will go out and buy vet wrap for the string perches which are in the cage, and the one I just added to the outside of the top drawer. Thanks for all the advice.

The bowls will be bacterial hazards at that height, whether or not they seem low to you. I promise you that. They need to be located where they will stand to play on the toys. Again, also pay special attention to that dark wall and the hormonal coconut-they don't need a "bed" like humans often think they do.

Most Reactions

Latest posts