Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
Here are Basil and Paprika’s cage with the new M&M cage lights that I bought. They do a good job lighting them up. I did get the side by side cage. They are separated by a very strong divider panel.

c4d59b58343d406071a3f553af76d643.jpg

Basil has started to molt again since moving him in to the left side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Adding lighting to the interior is always problematic, IMHO. A tube style bulb that breaks send tiny shards of glass everywhere in addition to whatever coating within the tube, which many times in includes mercury, a deadly metal chemical.

Also, lighting within the cage can be too near your Parrots and could result in problems with their eyes, including blindness. The self-test is completed by placing the light bulb(s) several feet from your face and with your eyes open turn the light on and off. if you see dark spots in your vision, the bulb is to close to your face /your Parrots, keep moving the bulb further away until the light does not effect your vision.

Cycletim

Mar 22, 2020
Ventura, California
Parrots
Jasper Congo African Grey,
Grover Red bellied parrot RIP 10/20,
Red bellied parrot Rheya
Careful with lights. They gave our grey sunburns on his eyes. They produce uvb which is what gives sunburns. We have a different set up, we ended up just using an ordinary CFL bulb. Lights do help with hormones for sure. We just do our best to get him outdoor time in his aviary or open window time every day to get the sunrays. There is no substitute for the sun. Good luck.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
They get cataracts in eye if light to close. You have to set a distance I use a light and UV meter when setting them up and controller have programmed to dim and switch on night lights and etc. If not setup correctly they can be dangerous. It not really needed. I used those M&M cage lights they are led's not cfl. I only used in breeding setup for light cycle to control hormones and have them on a custom controller. For what your trying to do, it not needed. Just bring them outside once in a while and they will get the full-spectrum needed and sun way better.

r5Xl73w.jpg

99oQ66l.jpg

0RXBsdb.jpg

Y27T93k.jpg

EWrM1Ry.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Alembic772

Alembic772

May 13, 2020
Spring Hill, FL
Parrots
Basil - 22yr male SI Eclectus
River - male GCC
Nemo - female BCC - handicapped
Summer - female pineapple gcc
Rainbow - male yellow side gcc
Lando - male black headed caique
Paprika - female SI eclectu
The biggest problem is they are flighted and I don’t have a safe way to take them outside in my current residence. No screened in porch or anything like that.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
The biggest problem is they are flighted and I don’t have a safe way to take them outside in my current residence. No screened in porch or anything like that.

Lights don't put out the UVB to benefit. I tested them with a UV meter. They lie on the marketing. They really are for controlling breeding. Plus are actually dangerous as are know to cause cataracts in eyes if distant is not correct and see toys are right near it.

You can harness train them prefer the Avaitor as lightweight and easy to put on and off, once bird is use it and trained. Then down the road you can flight and recall train them. Then way least risky in worry about them flying out the door, or window if one day accidentally left open, as they use to flight already and will come back on whistle. First step is to harness train and get them use to being outdoors and loud sounds.

Lights don't put the out UVB to be any benefit to the bird when it come to vitiman D. They can only put out little UVA. Plus are dangerous if not setup correctly as can cause cataracts in eyes. They are really used to control breeding, not for UV. Direct sunlight produces UVB is a way to synthesized into vitamin D, D3 which maintains proper levels of calcium and phosphorus in the blood. Way to get proper Vitamin D is direct sunlight, good fresh diet "fruit, and vegetables", ZuPreem Natural "brown pellets" or vitamin supplements if needed.

Unfortunately for consumers, “full spectrum” is a marketing term and has no strict definition or regulations. Drawing on my own research of products, rarely does a full spectrum bulb, or LED strip have UVA light and I’ve never encountered one with UVB light and yes tested with a UV meter. Modern windows don't pass UVB through glass, only UVA passes through glass and reason window would have to be open for bird to benefit from it. A outdoor aviary is another option. Best way is fresh foods or more seed into their diets. Then you can do vitamins supplements but you have to be careful not to overdosed. This is one to have your veterinarian run tests and they can tell you were your bird is deficient in?

https://www.amazon.com/AVIATOR-Pet-...1&keywords=bird+harness&qid=1604901515&sr=8-6

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...SgNDQoL7oRmBTReKknjwEG8vOnf0eKVoaAmViEALw_wcB

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts