Cage modifications for injured conure

Beccat

Nov 17, 2021
Parrots
Jenday conure
Hi. I came to this forum hoping someone might have some suggestions. Recently, my conure, Skittles was attacked by my corn snake after I latched the snake’s tank lid improperly which allowed the snake to escape. There was some vascular damage from the bite resulting in the loss of part of skittles’ wing. His vet has suggested I attempt to modify his cage so that if Skittles were to lose balance or attempt to fly at all, he will not fall from too high up. He has a prevue cage like the one shown below. Anyone have any suggestions for what I could use to modify his current cage on the inside so that he is unable to get any higher than the red line?
0B297903-1CAD-4853-A555-FD35C5E3DA4E.jpeg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry your conure was injured:( I'm not sure what modifications could be made, perhaps you could firmly attach the grate up there?
Hopefully someone else has a better idea.

jeninec11769

Nov 8, 2021
california
Parrots
Paulie and Phoebe GCC
Oh man, That is so sad to have happened to skittles. I also do not have a proper suggestion. other than a box or container to avoid climbing or flying up, meanwhile he is injured. This is what I do for my babies when they are hurt :(. But also they stay under my survaliance.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
a towel on the bottom
Extra warmth is important for sick or injuries. Like a k and h panel to snuggle up to. Radiant heat is best , I never recommend heat lamps ever. Even turning up your home by a couple of degrees like to ar least 74 helps. But sick burds need about 85f. Move cage away from outside walls or windows to reduce drafts. Cover back
Extra calories to support, a bump in protein rich foods fir healing like offer some boiled egg, or a sliver if boiled chicken. Animal protein seems to help a little. But a few nuts or cooked safe legume, or cooked lentils are also very good. Keep millet spray available to tempt more nibbles and is higher in calories, keep up all healthy veggies abd leafy greens, if you feed pellets great but offer more seeds. Tskes a lot of calories to heal. May need to have baby bird formula on hand and offer as a supplemental feed in addition to what eats on own. Make thicker like yogurt don't force but encourage by hand held syringe at beak top, lots of burds like and take easy, but dont force, can offer on finger tip
Warmth
Extra food
Abd possible warm compress with dilute betadine to light tea color and soak a clean wash cloth in it and hold on area for a few minutes 2-3 times a day. Don't chill a d don't stress him. Ask your vet if this would help. I'm a huge believer in its help.
I'm wishing you both the best.

OP
Beccat

Beccat

Nov 17, 2021
Parrots
Jenday conure
Thank you, everyone! So far the healing is going well. He had radiographs done today and everything seems to be healing fine. He goes back in two weeks. He doesn’t seem to be having any trouble balancing or getting around his cage. I’ve padded the bottom with towels to be safe and moved perches lower, but he likes to climb up the side of the cage and hang upside down from the top bars. Need to figure out a way to stop him or just buy a smaller cage I guess.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Thank you, everyone! So far the healing is going well. He had radiographs done today and everything seems to be healing fine. He goes back in two weeks. He doesn’t seem to be having any trouble balancing or getting around his cage. I’ve padded the bottom with towels to be safe and moved perches lower, but he likes to climb up the side of the cage and hang upside down from the top bars. Need to figure out a way to stop him or just buy a smaller cage I guess.
I'm so glad he is healing well! Make sure to keep an eye on the towel to make sure he isn't chewing it up. When I have had an injured bird I use layers of paper towels as I'm afraid 0f them chewing or getting their nails caught in the towel. Perhaps you could cover the towel with paper towels?

OP
Beccat

Beccat

Nov 17, 2021
Parrots
Jenday conure
I'm so glad he is healing well! Make sure to keep an eye on the towel to make sure he isn't chewing it up. When I have had an injured bird I use layers of paper towels as I'm afraid 0f them chewing or getting their nails caught in the towel. Perhaps you could cover the towel with paper towels?
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve got the paper I line his cage with over the towels right now. I will make sure to keep on eye on it. He tends to chew up the sheets I cover his cage with at night so I bet it is only a matter of time before he starts at the towels.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve got the paper I line his cage with over the towels right now. I will make sure to keep on eye on it. He tends to chew up the sheets I cover his cage with at night so I bet it is only a matter of time before he starts at the towels.
Most of mine also love chewing up their night coverings, too. I wish I could make my own sheets, they get expensive after awhile!

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I have made similarly modifications. Shortened the cage by adding a second level (sturdy cardboard) for part of the cage and the very bottom of the cage I had a cushion(it was a changing table padding I folded to fit) covered with a pee pad and paper towel on top of that. I added a lot of branches to help her get around. She was recovering from a foot injury and infection (so I also had a heated perch and perches that I added padding too) . I hope this helps and your bird has a speedy recovery! What you both went through sounds terrifying!

Ps for the card board I used the round metal things and a wing nut (similar to how you secure store bought perches). Adding large diameter perches should help her with mainting balance

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So thankful Skittles has favorable prognosis, must have been terrifying.

Modifying existing cage might prove challenging without creating unforeseen consequences. Purchasing new enclosure might make better sense, selling old cage to help subsidize.

Meryl

Sep 28, 2014
Hi. I came to this forum hoping someone might have some suggestions. Recently, my conure, Skittles was attacked by my corn snake after I latched the snake’s tank lid improperly which allowed the snake to escape. There was some vascular damage from the bite resulting in the loss of part of skittles’ wing. His vet has suggested I attempt to modify his cage so that if Skittles were to lose balance or attempt to fly at all, he will not fall from too high up. He has a prevue cage like the one shown below. Anyone have any suggestions for what I could use to modify his current cage on the inside so that he is unable to get any higher than the red line?View attachment 32257
So very sorry to hear about the accident! I have modified a cage when my Macaw had to have surgery and stay at bottom of cage. You would have to do it differently as I put the plexi glass on all sides and took down perch so he could not climb up and had to stay on bottom. But if you want to just make cage less tall, you could measure the inside dimentions and get plexi glass cut to a bit smaller width. If you are not handy or have tools to do this you would have to have it made as I did. Plexi is hard to cut. You would then drill 2 small holes on all 4 sides and suspend the plexi using toggle screws. (like the ones that come with the toys) So it would attach to all sides of cage making a false top. Hoping this makes sense. If you do not want to go that drastic, I would lower the perch, and buy one of the longer rope perches and make a very long U with it, so it extends closer to bottom of cage. But your bird will still be able to climb the sides and get up high. Good luck and please keep us informed!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I'm so sorry to hear about your conure :cry: I hope he gets better, and heals quickly. I myself have a jenday conure. I have a parrot with a broken wing as well. I can say birds do adapt with time. It does take time though as birds will still try to fly. This can be dangerous, and can cause futher injury. This is even after the bird fully heals. I added a bunch of perches, and ropes to my birds cage. I do everything in my power to give my bird a way to get to where he needs to go without flying. He even has perches on the outside of his cage so when I open his cage he can climb down his cage, and get to me. It's a great way to get exercise as well for birds that have broken wings, and can no longer fly. If you have a seed catcher tray I would highly recommend removing it. If your feathered friend falls, and hits a seed catcher tray there has been birds killed by that. I hope something in here helps! Please do keep us updated on your conures progress.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Thats a great point KME3388. What I did for Anne outside the cage wa lay put comforters and pillows all around the floor for when Anne would try to fly she'd have a soft landing

OP
Beccat

Beccat

Nov 17, 2021
Parrots
Jenday conure
Thanks again for all the suggestions! I’m going to try modifying with a sheet of acrylic to make a false top. He’s getting around fine but I’ll add more perches to make it easier on him. Now, if I could just get him to take his medicine without throwing a fit.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Now, if I could just get him to take his medicine without throwing a fit.
Are you frustrated giving liquid or powdered meds? Mixing with tiny quantity of oatmeal, baby food, mashed yams/sweet potato or other favorite food helpful. Just enough to disguise but ensure full dosage. Check first with vet but most meds eligible!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Thank you! Skittles is doing great! All healed up! He’s adapted well to no longer being able to fly and gets around fine without any balance issues.
Thats great to hear!
Thank god for his quick recovery ❤️

Most Reactions

Latest posts