Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots
Indian Ringneck: Damien

RIP: Dempsey & Winston
Damien has got into this awful habit of biting his cage,quite early in the morning.
Is this a sign of boredom? or attention seeking? He has quite a few toys, but he doesn't really play with them, apart from chewing the rope toy he has.

Should I buy him more toys? and how can I break this bad habit without him thinking I am rewarding him for it with attention. I am trying the just ignore it route, but he still continues to do it. :p

Also, does anyone else's bird do this?

Kind regards~
Maria
x

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Biting on everything is normal, biting on the cage is quite normal and I think it is only for "trimming" but of cause if you come to him every time he is biting on the cage it could be company seeking action. See if you can give him more toys and hopefully he will find a favorit to bite on

Bright Star

May 28, 2011
Colorado
Parrots
Keats (budgie) born Feb. 18, 2011, and Raphael (budgie) adopted July 3, 2011. Finn, a Brown-Head Poicephalus, born January 4, 2010, has also joined the family!
Unless he's actually trying to eat any coating that might be on the cage, it's probably not an issue. My budgies often nibble their cage bars, just as they do their wooden perches. I think it's similar to babies who put everything in their mouth to understand it. The sensations will tell them what 'it' is.

Last edited:
OP
Ria

Ria

Jun 6, 2011
Media
Albums
Uk, Hampshire / Gosport
Parrots
Indian Ringneck: Damien

RIP: Dempsey & Winston
Ahh thank you. I think it's a bit of both. habit he's got into and then reinforced by me speaking to him by saying "stop doing that" or approaching him which makes him think "whoo attentttion" I will try somee different toys and attempt to ignoring him whilst he does it! Thanks for the answers!

ps: I looked, and the coating isn't coming off, so thats a good thing, ahah and I see what you mean about putting everything in their mouths like babies; they're so cute when they see a new thing for the first time you can see they are curious straight away!

LoveMauiGus

Jun 14, 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Maui - Sun Conure,
Gus - Yellow Collared Macaw
Maui does that too, as soon as she wakes up. She nibbles and bangs on the cage until we wake up (thanks a lot!)

Most Reactions

Latest posts