Cage panel clamps?

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
The thread sleeves for the bolts holding my cage panels together keep breaking free where they just spin when trying to disassemble the cage. Is there a good way to hold the cage panels together that I can quickly take them apart when needed? Quick clips maybe? Clamps? Pictures would be helpful if you have them.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
The thread sleeves for the bolts holding my cage panels together keep breaking free where they just spin when trying to disassemble the cage. Is there a good way to hold the cage panels together that I can quickly take them apart when needed? Quick clips maybe? Clamps? Pictures would be helpful if you have them.
Do you think zip ties would be strong enough?

OP
gibson2503

gibson2503

Jul 11, 2013
Media
Indiana
Parrots
Apollo (8 years old Sunday conure), and Ari (7 years old jenday conure) and Cosmo 9 years old goffins cockatoo). All DNA tested females.
Do you think zip ties would be strong enough?
I thought about zip ties but either one of my birds would destroy them in seconds.

HowdyDoDee

Jan 18, 2020
Minnesota
Parrots
Parakeet
A hardware store might have a slightly flexible metal ‘c’ clamp that you can click into cage panels? Or little hose clamps?

Otherwise you can try rubber coated wire garden ties, cut to size with a wire cutter. Just be careful as the wire can pop out. I’ve learned to stretch the rubber sleeve beyond the end of the wire, then twist and secure. Use a needle nose pliers for ties with stubborn wire, or cut a new piece.

Similar but generally more durable are ties designed for electronics. These are significantly more expensive though. The ends are often tied/knotted, creating a stopping point that prevents the wire from popping out. But that also makes these ends bulkier. I have also cut long ties such as this down with a little more effort than the garden ties.

Clamps are super useful for me for a variety of reasons. Below are some of my often used clamps. Unfortunately I don’t have any *needle nose clamps* handy at this time- may need more of those!

The white clamp is from the dollar store. It is not very strong, but it is useful for a variety of things. The other two are from online/hardware store. The orange tips seen on the larger clamp can be flipped, or easily removed. These are quite strong. (Yet to find a small one though that’s strong, but they are available in tiny sizes… just don’t expect the orange tips to stay in place very well). Another option are coated steel (?) clips- useful for so many things! I have found these at the dollar store, in a pack of ten or so.

My parakeets are happy to use clamps along with their perches, and as perches. They don’t chew on them, they prefer wood/organic material.

Not sure if any of these will help.

👇 garden tie stock photo (green) and others described 👆

Best wishes for a healthy and happy New Year!

Laura

Attachments

• CF4EF242-450F-4B6D-A2B6-B56DDAADF9CA.jpeg
    CF4EF242-450F-4B6D-A2B6-B56DDAADF9CA.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 0226057F-17ED-4DD1-9F78-C5D2BE42B8B4.jpeg
    0226057F-17ED-4DD1-9F78-C5D2BE42B8B4.jpeg
    179.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 496C05B6-173E-4948-AC18-BC2F3A52993A.jpeg
    496C05B6-173E-4948-AC18-BC2F3A52993A.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: