Cage Suggestions

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
So, I am likely to get 2 or more budgies soon from the avian shelter near me and I have a particular cage in mind that is super spacious, and I think it looks awesome. Only problem is I'm always skeptical ordering things online because I'm afraid of getting a flimsy cage. So, I thought I'd ask does anyone have any cages they'd recommend for about 3 budgies that also have lots of extra room for fun toys and big perches and still have enough room after all that for some flight space? Thanks for the cage suggestions!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
I have a Prevue Hendryx cage, they sell on Amazon, but I got online at Tractor Supply on sale. Around $80.00 26" wide, 22" tall and 14" deep. Amazon now has it on sale as well. it "was" 88.00 but price has gone up it seems.. link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SK7HOQI/
I actually think this would be much too small for birds, especially such a large amount of budgies, and I don't think you'd be getting your money's worth. It might work out if the birds are out a WHILE every day, like 10-12 hours; as a sleep cage.

OP
Birdgirl24

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
I found a cage i liked But thank you everybody for the suggestions!

OP
Birdgirl24

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
uhhh atleast 6 years from now

vljenewein

Dec 1, 2021
Fennville, MI
Parrots
Rocky & Adrian - Budgerigars
and it would be good for a couple budgies
Both you and Foxglove have the same cage, and it is a bit larger than mine, especially in heights, but remember that the actual "cage" height is only 37.2" not 52" that latter number is the overall height from floor to top and includes the stand. Mine is 26" wide where these are 31.1" a difference of only about 5 inches. As I understand, it is more important for width than heights.

Also one thing to keep in mind is wire spacing. Both of those Yaheetech cages have 5/8" spacing aka 0.60" as noted in the picture description. For larger birds like Conures, etc, that will work ok. But I took back a similar cage that was 5/8" since our female Budgie was nearly getting though the cage wire at times. Recommended cage wire width for Budgerigars / Parakeets is 1/2" or 0.500 " That is what I have for our 2 Parakeets.

Also if you can find one in a decent price range that is stainless steel, it might be the last cage you will ever buy as it won't rust and the paint won't chip off, necessitating buying a new cage every few years.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Both you and Foxglove have the same cage, and it is a bit larger than mine, especially in heights, but remember that the actual "cage" height is only 37.2" not 52" that latter number is the overall height from floor to top and includes the stand. Mine is 26" wide where these are 31.1" a difference of only about 5 inches. As I understand, it is more important for width than heights.

Also one thing to keep in mind is wire spacing. Both of those Yaheetech cages have 5/8" spacing aka 0.60" as noted in the picture description. For larger birds like Conures, etc, that will work ok. But I took back a similar cage that was 5/8" since our female Budgie was nearly getting though the cage wire at times. Recommended cage wire width for Budgerigars / Parakeets is 1/2" or 0.500 " That is what I have for our 2 Parakeets.

Also if you can find one in a decent price range that is stainless steel, it might be the last cage you will ever buy as it won't rust and the paint won't chip off, necessitating buying a new cage every few years.
Yes. Width is better than height but if you want a flight cage that is just not possible; also even though you might think the size difference isn't that big, it is. A few inches can make a huge difference actually, and it allows for more flying. It can also fit a lot more toys.

Most Reactions

Latest posts