Cage too big for amazon?

Austin17

Feb 24, 2021
I just bought a macaw cage thinking it was a great deal. The bar spacing is 1 3/8" inch and I am not sure if that is too big for my yellow crowned amazon. I keep seeing online that amazons are good up to 1". She was not in a "small" cage beforehand, however this cage is giant and I was hoping she would like all of this space! I just want to know if 1 3/8" is too wide. Thank you.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Almost impossible to have too large a cage from volume pov, but bar width is critical. I'd say 1 3/8" a bit marginal for an amazon but may be passable depending on your bird's size. Every species has variations - are you able to place her near the bars and get a good feel for whether her head is comfortably too big?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Scott is so correct! There can never be too large a cage.
BUT, there can be Bar Spacing that is too Wide.

The goal is that the Parrot's head cannot fit between the bar spacing!
Since the Amazon family covers a wide cross-section of overall size, one spacing does not fit all.

Looking straight-on at the head of the Amazon, you will note that the eyes sit a bit wider than the head. The goal is to keep the bar spacing less than the physical head size. Over the years I had settled on 5/8" to a maximum 3/4" with the larger Amazons. Smaller Amazons between 1/2" and 5/8". I tend to error on the smaller side as the sight of an Amazon that had by accident hung itself is beyond what I could handle.

Last edited:
OP
A

Austin17

Feb 24, 2021
Almost impossible to have too large a cage from volume pov, but bar width is critical. I'd say 1 3/8" a bit marginal for an amazon but may be passable depending on your bird's size. Every species has variations - are you able to place her near the bars and get a good feel for whether her head is comfortably too big?

I noticed that her eyes are wider than the bars. I don’t think she’d be able to get her head through it unless she really tried lol

OP
A

Austin17

Feb 24, 2021
Scott is so correct! There can never be too large a cage.
BUT, there can be Bar Spacing that is too Wide.

The goal is that the Parrot's head cannot fit between the bar spacing!
Since the Amazon family covers a wide cross-section of overall size, one spacing does not fit all.

Looking straight-on at the head of the Amazon, you will note that the eyes sit a bit wider than the head. The goal is to keep the bar spacing less than the physical head size. Over the years I had settled on 5/8" to a maximum 3/4" with the larger Amazons. Smaller Amazons between 1/2" and 5/8". I tend to error on the smaller side as the sight of an Amazon that had by accident hung itself is beyond what I could handle.

I do not think her head will fit through the spacing. I tried holding a treat outside the spacing and it did not look like her head would go through as her eyes are wider than the bar space

Most Reactions