Caique's Feathers Health

M.B.

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
Black-headed Caique
Hello all, definitely a new joiner here. I just got a Black-headed Caique almost 3 weeks ago from a pet store. The store received this 3-4 month Caique along with 4 others (same age) in a single cage.
The one i got was weaned but was a bit sticky with formula residues (like the others). Later i took it to pet grooming service where they told me his tail feathers were bitten/broken, and should be plucked. The same with the wing feathers. He plucked the tail (attached) and recommended to pluck the affected wing feathers next visit.

1) Other than that, the colors of feathers (i believe) are not normal, pictures attached. Ranging from almost black to light green on the wings, is that normal?

2) This little one eats a lot, i give it a table spoon of fresh veg. chop twice a day, and keep a little bowl of mixed seeds all day. Is that right? He's a bit chubby.

3) I understand that they are not the best flyers, but this little one can only fly horizontally, no vertical gains at all. Is it because he's chubby? Is it because of the broken feathers?

Your thoughts and advices are highly welcomed & appreciated.
20230326_134652.jpg
20230401_120215.jpg

Attachments

• 20230331_172618.jpg
    20230331_172618.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Sadly, you received poor information regarding your new babies feathers!

Yes, they can look a bit bedraggled, but are easy to clean! Obtain a small garden misting bottle. Assure that it is adjustable as you only want to use the mist setting and many are a heavy spray and most Parrots do not like those!

Lightly mist into the air above your baby, allowing the mist to softy fall. Never mist directly at your Parrot, especially their face!! After a couple of times, see if your Parrot will allow you to lift a wing and if so, mist under the wing.

After doing this once a day for several days, you will see you baby's feathers condition improve vastly!!

It is common for companion baby Parrots to have poorly appearing tail feathers and they commonly are sticking them everywhere and the result is damaged tail feathers.

Cheers!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
100% dead on my good friend. Baby parrots are hell on tail feathers and even unruly youngsters can be hard on them. But some of these feathers look like they have been over preened or barbered. Make sure he has access to and plays with shreddy type toys and playthings. Redirect his attention to those. Keep an eye out for that behavior and immediately remove any feathers that come out naturally from the cage and play areas. You don't want those to become play toys.

OP
M

M.B.

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
Black-headed Caique
Sadly, you received poor information regarding your new babies feathers!

Yes, they can look a bit bedraggled, but are easy to clean! Obtain a small garden misting bottle. Assure that it is adjustable as you only want to use the mist setting and many are a heavy spray and most Parrots do not like those!

Lightly mist into the air above your baby, allowing the mist to softy fall. Never mist directly at your Parrot, especially their face!! After a couple of times, see if your Parrot will allow you to lift a wing and if so, mist under the wing.

After doing this once a day for several days, you will see you baby's feathers condition improve vastly!!

It is common for companion baby Parrots to have poorly appearing tail feathers and they commonly are sticking them everywhere and the result is damaged tail feathers.

Cheers!
Thanks dear, very informative, Will do so daily from now on 👍

OP
M

M.B.

Apr 1, 2023
Parrots
Black-headed Caique
100% dead on my good friend. Baby parrots are hell on tail feathers and even unruly youngsters can be hard on them. But some of these feathers look like they have been over preened or barbered. Make sure he has access to and plays with shreddy type toys and playthings. Redirect his attention to those. Keep an eye out for that behavior and immediately remove any feathers that come out naturally from the cage and play areas. You don't want those to become play toys.
Thanks dear 👍

Most Reactions

Latest posts