Can I be around my bird when sick?

SafamirzašŸ¤

Mar 26, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello šŸ‘‹ I have a 2 years old, male cockatiel named Kiko. My brother has been quite sick for the past couple of days. He has a cold. Kiko is very, VERY attached with my brother and we have been distancing them because we donā€™t want Kiko to catch the germs. My brother is the one who spends the most time with Kiko because he wonā€™t go to anyone else over him. Kiko has been spending a little more time in his cage during the day and he is going crazy!

What should I do? I would keep Kiko with me but after some time he gets anxious and starts flying around looking for my brother. He loves being with my dad but heā€™s busy with work during the day. Can birds really catch the germs from humans? Is it ok if he just sits on my brotherā€™s shoulder or lap? Heā€™s always trying to get kisses and eat his food, which is a problem.

Thanks to anyone who responds :)

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Kiko should be just fine. There are very few diseases that can be transmitted from humans to birds. The common cold is absolutely not one of them.

Last edited:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello šŸ‘‹ I have a 2 years old, male cockatiel named Kiko. My brother has been quite sick for the past couple of days. He has a cold. Kiko is very, VERY attached with my brother and we have been distancing them because we donā€™t want Kiko to catch the germs. My brother is the one who spends the most time with Kiko because he wonā€™t go to anyone else over him. Kiko has been spending a little more time in his cage during the day and he is going crazy!

What should I do? I would keep Kiko with me but after some time he gets anxious and starts flying around looking for my brother. He loves being with my dad but heā€™s busy with work during the day. Can birds really catch the germs from humans? Is it ok if he just sits on my brotherā€™s shoulder or lap? Heā€™s always trying to get kisses and eat his food, which is a problem.

Thanks to anyone who responds :)
I don't think anyone knows for certain if any human infections can affect birds because no studies have been done proving or disproving it. That said, most avian vets don't think that birds can catch human viral cold/flu/Covid infections. I had Covid six months ago and was in very close contact with Rocky my budgie and she never got sick. None of my birds have ever caught a cold or flu from me either and I've had plenty. I would go ahead and let Kiko hang out with your brother.

Most Reactions

Latest posts