Can Multiple Lovebird Species - 6-7 max (All Male), all hand-fed, caged separately, be okay in an balcony-converted aviary?

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
The area is 14 feet in length, 6 feet wide, and 10 feet high. They will all be caged separately in another room, so the aviary is only for flying about, and I intend to fill the area with wooden toys/perches and place them wherein they can't hamper flight. I don't want females, as I heard they are more aggressive, and I don't want babies. And do the multi-species bird have to be even numbers...hopefully, they'll become a flock.

It's okay not to agree, but just be kind with words as I'm trying to balance being a pet owner, fancier, and obviously value the health of my birds.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
The area is 14 feet in length, 6 feet wide, and 10 feet high. They will all be caged separately in another room, so the aviary is only for flying about, and I intend to fill the area with wooden toys/perches and place them wherein they can't hamper flight. I don't want females, as I heard they are more aggressive, and I don't want babies. And do the multi-species bird have to be even numbers...hopefully, they'll become a flock.

It's okay not to agree, but just be kind with words as I'm trying to balance being a pet owner, fancier, and obviously value the health of my birds.
When in the aviary, they will only be semi-supervised..meaning I'm home, but not watching them every minute, and I can see the balcony from living/dining room easily (hear it too) as it's glass.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I did read it, but it was pertaining to Budgies and other species, and the advice was to get other Lovebirds, and a few were okay with multi-species as long as there's enough room. I definitely don't want babies, that's why I want males, not even if they produce unfertile eggs. Does anyone have experience with multiple types of Lovebirds, all males, co-existing in a flight environment with the dimensions I mentioned. No guarantees, I know, fights can occur, regardless of what bird one has.

OP
H

Harpytacines

Jun 15, 2022
Parrots
Lovebird
I could also get larger cages for each of them, but I don't want to waste the balcony space if there's opportunity for enrichment.

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
Looking at the picture in your other thread. To me I believe I have seen pictures of people who have made aviaries in lesser space for more birds.

My own self I have 6 budgies. Their cage is much smaller than your space. Although they get the freedom of my living-room their aviary-room during the day, and I simply shoo them back into the cage at night.

My budgies DO fight. But I have more girls than boys. This is just how it worked out when I let the first two have babies. I certainly would have preferred boys! Also I believe budgies fight more than other birds... but I don't know a LOT about lovebirds, so I could be wrong.

Do Lovebirds need pair-mates? (Like their name?) I am asking this because I may have gotten this impression somehow BUT i really don't know much else about them. (Except that they are cute!)

Anyways, I don't know about the group dynamics of Lovebirds, BUT, as far as dimensions-only, I would think your space is sufficiently large for them.

Most Reactions