Can these two species live together?

SteNug

Jun 11, 2007
Liverpool, Merseyside
Parrots
Eastern Rosella Parrakeet-Persey, Two Budgies-Snowy + Tigger
Hello all,

Would you please tell me if these two species would go in a cage together?

Xx Charlie xX.JPG

Persy the parrot.jpg

Cheers
Steve.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
is that an IRN or is it a Quaker Parakeet? I would say not really ... general rule of thumb X # of parrots = X # of cages

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Tex, its definately a ringneck :D

I have a big flighted cage (soon to be aviary) for my little guys when I had my ringneck I did try to put him in the same cage, No they don't get on they want their own space, A ringneck could do a lot of damage to your Rosella, (although in my case it was the other way round,) They may get on outside of the cage but I would definately cage them seperately. :D

OP
SteNug

SteNug

Jun 11, 2007
Liverpool, Merseyside
Parrots
Eastern Rosella Parrakeet-Persey, Two Budgies-Snowy + Tigger
Once again, big thanks for your replies.
Rosella is in a 5ft tall cage and Indian Ring Neck in a smaller one at the moment, (cage that we received it in) but don't like to see them in restricted space so if both can't go together in Rosella's cage time to buy another 5ft one for her.
Cheers,
Steve.;)

Last edited:

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I like the way you think man.
Ban the cage,...... in liu` somthing else that keeps em safe.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
.. Ban the cage,...... in liu` somthing else that keeps em safe.

Not that I am picking on you here Red, but YOU have banned the cage and consequently Skippah has gotten into coffee beans and, um, your, um personal "erb" stash (is what I think you called it) ... how exactly is that keeping him safe? :54:

~ :50:

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I am using a brave new approach to bird handling.
Its called "weak love", where you give in to his every demand, even if they are imagined by the carer.
We have has a long talk about his antix (I talked, he mainly listened) and we agreed that in future, He would keep to his perch and not eat anything poisonous or mind bending. In return, I promised to keep being weak willed and lillie livered.
I think we have both agreed this is a fair comprimise.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
:D
*we really need a better variety of smilies*

Chi stick it up in the Suggestions Forum, BN will then get back to ya. :D

While if not having a cage works for ya, then thats great but I wouldn't get rid of mine and with multiple birds (whether it be 2 or more) its a bit different, or with any other animals in the house. Accident waiting to happen IMO, and thats not a risk I would ever suggest anyone take. :D

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
Accident waiting to happen IMO, and thats not a risk I would ever suggest anyone take.

I agree. It's something that may seem okay and then one day...freak accident...bye bye birdie.

I realized all that yesterday. Here's the story:
Since the aviary is put on hold, I got a large outdoor cage for the birds. The first few times I took him to it, he was toweled. Then I just had him on my hand, with my thumb placed over his feet so he couldn't fly away. He doesn't even try to. He just sits on my hand patiently. Then yesterday, it just hit me as to how irresponsible I was being. There are so many elements outside that I can't control. Even if he doesn't 'normally' try to fly off of my hand, it doesn't mean that there won't come a day where I'm walking out there with him and he hears a loud sound, gets scared and flies off.

I know in some cases people can be pretty overprotective, but I think this will be one area where I won't take any more chances.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Thankfully you realised that before the accident had happend. So often we don't think of these things till its too late. I think we've all been guilty of that. I'm thinking here of Bucc and candy, he was on a sugar high for days. :eek:

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Im currently trying to nut out that very problem.
I have a huge pretty out door cage for him to enjoy the sun, but how do i get him to and from the outdoor cage without stressing him, but allowing him as much stress free out door fun as he can have.
Im not stuffing him in a box like the "imfamous" trip to the vet.
I have to admit, Indoor life is great for me, but I bet the bird would love more out door time without me in his face.
Be strong Red,.....be the ball,.......

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
What about that lovely new harness he has got??? Might just do the trick, that way the bird lives the way you want, cage free, and he get lots of outdoor time, A win win situation in my mind. :D

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
Its all fun and games till someone ends up with bird flavoured breath.

You ever smell your birds breath?... wait can you get your face that close? LOL I stick my nose right in Crickets beak LOL smells like corn chips :D.... I do this to find out what my mom has been feeding her LOL.... corn chip smell is normal, because Cricket doen't like corn chips, she likes the salty unhealthy stuff.... the pig!!!! :eek:
Yeah i can get my face that close, hehe, and not get bit (if I am paying attention to her mood) I can kiss her all over her face too, but she would rather go for the lips, than the nose... Especially if I have a yummy sented food breath and then she tries to stick her head right in my :33:

Most Reactions