Can't love my birds

Parootty

Apr 7, 2021
Okie, so I had a parrot, Meethu who flew away and after he flew away, my heart was gone with him. I was extremely depressed, and my parents got me new birds, and two cocktails, PomPom and Shazaim. Two days later PomPom who was already severely sick flew to heaven even though we had taken her to the vet several times. After that my heart completely shut my heart to my bird. Not that I didn't love him, I do but developing a relationship where we both would spend time together like the bond many have with their birds in which they treat each other like besties. Sometime later I got Kiwi, a two-year-old male cocktail and he had extreme attention to shazaim as both had spent their life alone. Then I got Rose, two year female for Kiwi since he was old enough.

Now I take them out every day but I can't get myself to spend time with them at all as I teach them tricks as I know I will grow closer and if they fly away or anything happens to them, I will die. But I want to love them, grow closer to them and teach them tricks and build a bond in which they won't want to fly away. I also want to free-fight train them but the first step is a great bond. Plz help me overcome this fear and any new tips to bond with them( they are okay around me like to keep a distance)?

P.S: I am leaving for a country in a matter of days so they will be home with my family who will be staying behind for two months, i have already ordered toys and things but is there anything else I can do???

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I'm so sorry for your loss of Meethu.
I believe you may have gotten the birds before your heart was ready for them.
What I would recommend is that rather than think about the loss of Meethu and PomPom, try to remember the happy times together.
I truly believe that even though loving an animal (or human for that matter) puts your heart at risk, please think of the wonderful things that love can do to your heart. I believe that the joy is well worth the pain.
I think that if you work at getting closer to them, you will find your heart opening to them.

I wouldn't start anything with them until you get home from your trip.
This thread is an excellent one about bonding.

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

OP
P

Parootty

Apr 7, 2021
I'm so sorry for your loss of Meethu.
I believe you may have gotten the birds before your heart was ready for them.
What I would recommend is that rather than think about the loss of Meethu and PomPom, try to remember the happy times together.
I truly believe that even though loving an animal (or human for that matter) puts your heart at risk, please think of the wonderful things that love can do to your heart. I believe that the joy is well worth the pain.
I think that if you work at getting closer to them, you will find your heart opening to them.

I wouldn't start anything with them until you get home from your trip.
This thread is an excellent one about bonding.

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust
Thanks. I will sure try it out

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
What the earlier posters have replied is true. Iā€™m wondering also if you are sad and maybe a bit depressed?

I hope you enjoy your trip and come home refreshed. Then you can have a new start with your birds, making friends with them again.

Sometimes I have a lot of headaches or other issues and my birds donā€™t get much time. Then when Iā€™m better I have to start over. This is not the end of the world. It can be done. You can be friends with your birds but first you need to feel better in yourself.

OP
P

Parootty

Apr 7, 2021
What the earlier posters have replied is true. Iā€™m wondering also if you are sad and maybe a bit depressed?

I hope you enjoy your trip and come home refreshed. Then you can have a new start with your birds, making friends with them again.

Sometimes I have a lot of headaches or other issues and my birds donā€™t get much time. Then when Iā€™m better I have to start over. This is not the end of the world. It can be done. You can be friends with your birds but first you need to feel better in yourself.
Yeah I will try again after all I can't just deprive them of what they deserve

Most Reactions

Latest posts