Can't wait to get my little sun conure! [Update: arrived!]

OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
You paid a fair price, even a low price, compared to US prices for hand fed baby sun conures. Here they are about $800-$1,200. But I don't know whether a US dollar can buy the same goods and services as it does in your area of China. For example, if a small apartment in a nice US city costs $3,000 a month, how much would the same apartment in a similar Chinese city cost (in US dollars)? Is the cost of living in China higher or lower than in the US?
I think the price really depends on places, but as far as I now, a small apartment for a single person in Beijing wouldn't normally higher than 4000RMB (around 615 dollars) unless in really expensive areas. It seems much lower compare with US

OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
I took pawpaw to a bird cafe last week. I have been there before and quite like those cute little parrots here. The cafe welcomes people to bring their own parrot, so once Pawpaw recovered I decided to take him there. I think its good for him to meet with other parrot and learning social skills. Lucky he made his new friend! That green cheek conure flew to Pawpaw and stayed next to him. Then they started to stay and play together.
1689053025663.jpeg

I also met other parrots here. They are funny too.
1689053145957.jpeg

1689053162316.jpeg

1689053195596.jpeg

OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
I also took Pawpaw outside and let him enjoy the sunshine. He was very nervous and flew to a tree. But only after 10 minutes he became better and start to looking around. I really enjoy the time walking with him. I walked around many times through this road but it's a completely different experience to walk with him.
1689053346216.jpeg

OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
It sounds like you and Pawpaw are great friends already! Please be careful outdoors with him. Nothing is stopping him from flying away. His wings aren't clipped are they? So many people lose their birds that way.
Thank you for your remindering. You are right, pawpaw flew to a little tree when I first took him out. I don't want to clip his wings so I used a elastic rope connected his bird vervel when going out. (Its called flying rope, especailly design for birds) Therefore he can still enjoy flying but wouldn't fly away. Moreover, I have customized the vervel on his foot, and that vervel is engraved with my phone number. Incase pawpaw flying away, the person tho catch him can phone me. But I think I need to be more careful next time.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you for your remindering. You are right, pawpaw flew to a little tree when I first took him out. I don't want to clip his wings so I used a elastic rope connected his bird vervel when going out. (Its called flying rope, especailly design for birds) Therefore he can still enjoy flying but wouldn't fly away. Moreover, I have customized the vervel on his foot, and that vervel is engraved with my phone number. Incase pawpaw flying away, the person tho catch him can phone me. But I think I need to be more careful next time.
What is a vervel ? Does Pawpaw have a leash attached to his foot? So many parrot forum members
are heartbroken because their parrots flew away and haven't been found. It's so incredibly sad. You waited so long to get Pawpaw. Please don't take Pawpaw outside without a cage, harness or leash. A loud noise could frighten him into flying off and you may never see him again.

I'm not encouraging you to clip Pawpaw's wings. Many parrots can still fly with their wings clipped.

The bird Cafe looks like a lot of fun! Do they make you show proof that the parrots have been seen recently by a vet and that they are disease free?

OP
pawpaw

pawpaw

Jun 15, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
What is a vervel ? Does Pawpaw have a leash attached to his foot? So many parrot forum members
are heartbroken because their parrots flew away and haven't been found. It's so incredibly sad. You waited so long to get Pawpaw. Please don't take Pawpaw outside without a cage, harness or leash. A loud noise could frighten him into flying off and you may never see him again.

I'm not encouraging you to clip Pawpaw's wings. Many parrots can still fly with their wings clipped.

The bird Cafe looks like a lot of fun! Do they make you show proof that the parrots have been seen recently by a vet and that they are disease free?
I am sorry that I am not sure some words in English so I used the translator, so I may not explained clearly. When I say vervel I mean a ring on the bird's foot. What is the correct way to say it in English?
Thank you for your reminding again. I definetely do not want to lose him so I took Pawpaw out with a elastic rope connected to the vervel(I think its something like harness or leash?). However, in other thread somebody told me that I shouldn't use this because its may hurt his foot, so I am thinking about using a harness next time.
The bird cafe is nice to visit. Sadly, because the avian vet is expensive and less popular in China, birds there hasn't been tested. But I have visited there before taking Pawpaw to check the birds there, they look quiet healthy. The cafe's also sterilize everyday.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I am sorry that I am not sure some words in English so I used the translator, so I may not explained clearly. When I say vervel I mean a ring on the bird's foot. What is the correct way to say it in English?
Thank you for your reminding again. I definetely do not want to lose him so I took Pawpaw out with a elastic rope connected to the vervel(I think its something like harness or leash?). However, in other thread somebody told me that I shouldn't use this because its may hurt his foot, so I am thinking about using a harness next time.
The bird cafe is nice to visit. Sadly, because the avian vet is expensive and less popular in China, birds there hasn't been tested. But I have visited there before taking Pawpaw to check the birds there, they look quiet healthy. The cafe's also sterilize everyday.
I highly recommend the Aviator harness. It is true that these foot leashes have caused many a bird injuries and are not as safe for them. The harness does require A LOT of training and patience. I've been working on harness training my Conure for almost a year now. But I do recommend training with the harness instead of just forcing it on them to make it a positive experience for them.

I am so jealous of the bird cafe! If I had one of those I'd be there every day! Looks like Pawpaw is settling in nicely!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I understand the problem with avian vets. Even here in the US some people don't have access to an avian vet or cannot afford the expense. Just make sure you watch Pawpaw carefully and if you see any signs of illness take her to the vet and tell them that Pawpaw had been around other birds.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I understand the problem with avian vets. Even here in the US some people don't have access to an avian vet or cannot afford the expense. Just make sure you watch Pawpaw carefully and if you see any signs of illness take her to the vet and tell them that Pawpaw had been around other birds.
How is baby PawPaw doing? We haven't heard from you in a while and hope he's adjusting well to his new home.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I have never seen a bird cafe, and there isn’t anything like it in my local area. Are these more common elsewhere? What do they consist of?

Most Reactions

Latest posts