Catalina Macaw rescue

Joi2fine

Mar 12, 2023
Hello, and Im excited to be a part of this community.. So I rescued a 20ish year old Macaw last week.He was living in a rescue sanctuary that had a HUGE room with about 50 cages with other macaws. Ive have experience with macaws. I cared for a Scarlett, named Richard(but was called Dick, when he was naughty:)...So Tim (the Catalina) has settled in nicely..However Im still learning his behaviors so I haven't tried to handle him, or take him out of his cage. I don't have much info on his past life other than he was rescued from a lady that had him and B&G together. He talks( he's been saying "come on" lately while crouching and slightly flapping his wings( Not sure what this means), screams(of course) and does all the normal macaw stuff.. My question is, when should I allow him to come out of his cage and explore? Ive heard 2 weeks, a week, or when you think he's ready. He'll take a nut out of my hand from the cage, and come over to me when I stand in front of his cage and will scream for me when I leave.. I usually ignore it and come in when he's quieted down. He's in his own room, so I can close his door, and he watches 4k parrot TV, which he loves.. any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thank you!!!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Welcome to the forum, I'm so happy you joined us!

With a new bird, I always wait until I think they're ready to come out of their cage.

The thread below has wonderful info on bonding and trust. I like to link this whether someone has experience or not as it doesn't hurt as a reminder:)

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

It's great that Tim is already taking a treat from you, that will make things much easier. Lucky boy to have been adopted by you, he even has his own 4KTV!

I'm really excited to watch your journey together. We also love pics around here:)

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
My Mac does the hunch and slightly open and flap wings when he is wanting to get to something or get out of his cage. It's like, hey, come pick me up.
May or may not be the case with yours.

OP
J

Joi2fine

Mar 12, 2023
Welcome to the forum, I'm so happy you joined us!

With a new bird, I always wait until I think they're ready to come out of their cage.

The thread below has wonderful info on bonding and trust. I like to link this whether someone has experience or not as it doesn't hurt as a reminder:)

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

It's great that Tim is already taking a treat from you, that will make things much easier. Lucky boy to have been adopted by you, he even has his own 4KTV!

I'm really excited to watch your journey together. We also love pics around here:)
Thank you soo much for your reply!!! I’ll definitely upload some pics and that thread is wonderful! Thank you again!!

OP
J

Joi2fine

Mar 12, 2023
My Mac does the hunch and slightly open and flap wings when he is wanting to get to something or get out of his cage. It's like, hey, come pick me up.
May or may not be the case with yours.
Thank you! I’ll keep watching and seeing what his behavior is hinting at. He hasn’t lowered his head for me to pet him yet, so I’ve been waiting on this cue or something where he is ready for me to interact with him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts