catalina macaw vs harlequin macaw

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
the title says it all
...my friend really wants a catalina to breed with her scaret
she found one in the store but had problems tellying wethier its a harlequin or a catalina the pet store owner said he got it from a breeder but didnt ask what type it was
i want to know the diffrences
and do they both have the same way to take care for?
whats the diffrence in personalties and size?
just give me as much info on both or give me links that talk about them

,Zoe :green2: :red1:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Personality, size, and care for those two are pretty much the same. The way you can tell them apart is the beaks, catalina macaws have stubbier beaks, similar to the scarlets, while harlequins have an elongated beak close to that of a green wing. There are not many more noticeable differences.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Personality, size, and care for those two are pretty much the same. The way you can tell them apart is the beaks, catalina macaws have stubbier beaks, similar to the scarlets, while harlequins have an elongated beak close to that of a green wing. There are not many more noticeable differences.
Thanks a million
i heard that there is a diffrence in the tail as well is it true?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I would almost agree with above.

However, you must keep in mind that one is made with a Scarlet macaw and one is made with greens wing macaws, of which there are several personality differences.. This dramatically increases the odds that you wind up with a bird who inherits the high strung and beaky nature of the scarlet parent.

That said, this is ALL supplanted by the old adage “it all comes down to the individual bird, and in most instances how they were raised.”

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
t
I would almost agree with above.

However, you must keep in mind that one is made with a Scarlet macaw and one is made with greens wing macaws, of which there are several personality differences.. This dramatically increases the odds that you wind up with a bird who inherits the high strung and beaky nature of the scarlet parent.

That said, this is ALL supplanted by the old adage “it all comes down to the individual bird, and in most instances how they were raised.”
thank you

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Is your friend still looking for to breed? I have a female Scarlett Macaw (Chloe), 10-12 years of age.
I dont think i live anywhere near you
And my friend already does have her scarlet she just needs a catalina

Most Reactions