Fluffonia

Aug 4, 2023
Media
Slovenia
Parrots
Red sided ekkie female -
Ruby
Hatchingday- 14th of May, 2023
Hi. I think Ruby has a cold cause she’s eating less and has pus around her nose. Since in Slovenia it is hard to find a veterinarian, I want your advice first so I could do something while trying to find a veterinarian.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou - Ringneck Dove)
I don't think there's anything birds can catch that's quite like a "cold"... colds are viral, and the only respiratory disease that's viral that I know of for birds is the bird flu, which would be bad news bears. Your bird most likely has an upper respiratory infection tbh which needs antibiotics. Of course, I wouldn't recommend trying to treat it at home without a vet since you won't know which antibiotics will work best or how much to safely administer, so all you can really do is ease symptoms.

Steam can help while your little one is waiting to be seen by a doctor. I'm going to add a link to a page I found at the bottom of my post, it's a long page but if you look at the table of contents there's a section for holistic treatment. But don't just do the stuff in the link and skip the vet!!!!! Your bird might not get better at all without antibiotics, or it could be something else altogether!

For steam, you can use a humidifier or a warm wet towel over the cage.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Nasal discharges always have to be considered as a nasal infection and suitable avian safe antibiotics are called for. No other way to say it. Hope she gets better.

Most Reactions

Latest posts