Chewing Shoes D:

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Hi!!
I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions to prevent birds from chewing on certain things? I understand that chewing is a natural habit for birds and Iā€™m not angry at them for doing so. However, my family doesnā€™t appreciate it when the birds chew on their shoes or their doors.
Iā€™ve tried getting them toy shoes that are meant for birds to chew on. Nope, they arenā€™t interested. Iā€™ve tried all kinds of wooden toys, but they prefer the wooden decals over their abundance of toys.

They get plenty of stimulation/training and get new toys every other week, but they still prefer chewing on shoes and the wood on the house. Kyle, the sun conure, usually purrs whenever he sees a new shoe to chew on. I assume it just makes them happy? Like I said, Iā€™ve tried to compromise with them but they just wonā€™t have it.

This is actually a new habit that Kyle formed after getting our GCC. Beforehand, he was totally happy with his toys and never even looked twice at shoes. But now, he has a fascination with clothes and chewing away at them. The GCC doesnā€™t even do this behavior so itā€™s not like he learned it from the new bird.

Does anyone have any recommendations or insight as to WHY they are doing it in this case?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Parrots love to drive their humans nuts!! Those things that get their humans excited assures they will continue doing it, whatever it, its!!

Put the shoes away, line the doors with bubble wrap and close-off the areas that they commonly get in trouble and they will find something else to drive you and your family nuts!!

The joy of Parrot Ownership!!

OP
ShanCaz

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Parrots love to drive their humans nuts!! Those things that get their humans excited assures they will continue doing it, whatever it, its!!

Put the shoes away, line the doors with bubble wrap and close-off the areas that they commonly get in trouble and they will find something else to drive you and your family nuts!!

The joy of Parrot Ownership!!
I figured! Theyā€™re too spoiled and know that they wonā€™t get in trouble other than a light scolding. Weā€™ve started putting our shoes away but thereā€™s always the occasional time that someone forgets. As for the bubble wrap, Iā€™ll try it out! Although i wouldnā€™t surprised if they enjoyed popping the plastic instead xD

Most Reactions