Chew's a carnivore!!!!!!!!

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
I know there are reasons why certain foods like chocolate are bad.. I was just a little irritated having people tell me its poisonous when its more of a personal decision.
Believe me, I understand about the digestive system and the risks of obstructions due to foods. My life, unfortunately, pretty much revolves around that kind of thing, since I now have more of a birdy digestive system.. no large intestine and no gall bladder. lol. All I need now is a crop!
I agree, the list should be gone over and maybe there could be two separate lists.. items that are actually poisonous and items that pose a risk for other reasons. Then we can have the third list.. items you can use to bribe/hide stuff that your bird should eat but refuses.

Flyte - I'm sorry. I didn't know and perhaps should have read more threads prior to posting. Not knowing is no excuse and I apologize if I offended. I didn't know your situation and you are in my thoughts.

The list of don'ts regarding foods has six biggies:

Chocolate
Alcohol
Avacados
Apple pits
Cherry pits
Celery

Regarding apple and cherry pits - it also goes for the pulp around the seed. The safe thing is to cut the fruit so that there's a 1/4 inch left on the core. Applesauce is fine.

Once you avoid those, there's the plants. I don't do plants. I've managed to kill plastic plants (a plastic plant on a heater in full sunlight - they melt).

As for some veggies, the highly starched ones, like potatoes or yams, need to be cooked. It won't kill a fid to taste a raw one, but your fid is better served by eating a cooked one. Beets also fall into this category.

Many discrepancies with veggies often fall with the ones that are 'root' veggies. This may cause the 'onion' conundrum. Better cooked for fids. As described, fids are feasting on a glorious 'bloomin onion.' An onion itself isn't necessarily poisonous. If not presented correctly, it can be harmful (strings tying up the the digestive system), but even that aside if a fid ingests a piece of a raw, diced onion - chances are it's not going to be happy for a few days but ultimately it (and all) will live. The fact that your fid ingested a piece of a raw, diced onion should register into one's brain if your fid is dropping weight or is in GI pain/distress.

Overall, there's no-nos. I don't pay too much to the plant one (I'm forbidden from owning a plant since I managed to kill/melt a plastic one). But regarding food - my vet is a vet and also a nutritionist. He's very hands-on and has no issue with diagnosing/dealing with the problem at hand but also spending time searching for the true cause. Even during the 5 weeks it took to diagnose Keupi, he treated the viral issue, the yeast infection, as well as the eating (wasn't eating) as acute symptoms to a bigger issue. (As an aside, there was a point where I thought either he and I were sane or the two of us should be committed.) He's also a big proponent of pelleted diets (Harrisons)but at the same time doesn't want my fid on one. I can never thank that man enough for the care he gave to me and my fid over this course of time.

As for the idea that you're poisoning your fids by feeding them something. Chances are, you're not. Onions are not toxic, per se, but best probably in moderation (as is everything) and served best cooked. Don't feel attacked. I've been there and felt that regarding exposing him to a zinc-filled cage and those damned towel rolls. I'll ask my vet again on Monday about the onions but I doubt there's any difference from the last time.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Oh gosh Keupi, I didn't mean you! I just meant in general I was upset thinking I'd fed my kids poisons over the years with the onions and then I found out people were just concerned over texture. You know how you can get really worried over something and then it suddenly resolves and you just kind of wanna smack someone? I didn't mean to cause a problem, I'm sorry :)
Perhaps I should just shut up in the next few days with the high doses of pain meds I'm on..lol. Little extra sensitive I guess. I'm sorry.
I've been going crazy lately trying to get my little monkeys on the best diet as I can get them on and any information, even stuff I already know, is always good. Might as well pound it into my brain and everyone else's so that we remember, right!?!
Gotta go sing nite-nites to the little brats now!
Again, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I was upset and relieved at the same time about the onions :)

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Oh gosh Keupi, I didn't mean you! I just meant in general I was upset thinking I'd fed my kids poisons over the years with the onions and then I found out people were just concerned over texture. You know how you can get really worried over something and then it suddenly resolves and you just kind of wanna smack someone? I didn't mean to cause a problem, I'm sorry :)
Perhaps I should just shut up in the next few days with the high doses of pain meds I'm on..lol. Little extra sensitive I guess. I'm sorry.
I've been going crazy lately trying to get my little monkeys on the best diet as I can get them on and any information, even stuff I already know, is always good. Might as well pound it into my brain and everyone else's so that we remember, right!?!
Gotta go sing nite-nites to the little brats now!
Again, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, I was upset and relieved at the same time about the onions :)

There's no misunderstanding.

And no, you shouldn't just 'shut up.' You're not crazy. And yes, I know the feeling of wanting to just smack someone.

Believe you me, I do understand. I went through a year of surgeries with my Mom with breast cancer and nothing made sense - actually it still doesn't. Tried and true means nothing and I get it. No apologies... I get it.

It wasn't about the onions. But it was all about the onions.

It's a little tough sometimes to dissect every bit of knowledge. With our fids, that gut instinct of right and wrong with everything can, at times, grate on your last nerve. At the same time, you also don't want to be in a situation where you silently been killing them... that's me. I will never forgive myself for exposing him, but he's alive and 'fidding.'

You've done no damage regarding the onions. Your fids love them and your biggest problem is the fact that there's no fid mouthwash available.

I promise you I will look into the onion issue further when I see my vet on Monday, and will report back.

At the same time, I want you to focus on you and know that all my prayers and thoughts will be with you.

In fid,

Keupi

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
Hi Sarah and All!

As promised, I spoke with my vet today about the onions. He confirmed that raw is a problem. Cooked are not as long as they are given in moderation. Essentially, root veggies (like potatoes, onions, beets, etc) need to be throughly cooked first. As always, with any new food, small amounts to start. The big issue is in the birds digestive system as most fids like parrots don't necessarily 'dig' into the ground to feed in the wild. There's an enzyme in many root veggies that is released in the cooking process that can be harmful if given raw.

So cook them through and well and give them as you would a special treat.

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet

I guess carrots are excluded right?:confused::D

Good question pheob...my Cec loves her raw carrots ... we would both be very upset if they are a no no. :confused:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
They should be okay, I've been giving my fids raw carrot for over 20+ years and they've always been okay.

About 10 years with the flock I have now. :D

Deanna

Jun 25, 2007
Media
Colorado, USA
Parrots
Mojo the magnificent Maximillian Pionus; Cecil the clowny Senegal; and, Timothy the shy, fearful Parrotlet
Oh, Peta, Cecil is ectatic!!! I don't think life would be the same without her little baby carrots! :D

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Phoebus is 100% with Cecil on that!And imagine she wouldn't eat them not even touch them when I first offered them...:D Now I offer her two sliced carrots daily and she gets to eat one...She spits the other one all around my room and her cage's floor...:D

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
They should be okay, I've been giving my fids raw carrot for over 20+ years and they've always been okay.

About 10 years with the flock I have now. :D

Carrots are fine raw if they are 'well-skinned.' "Baby" carrots are fine overall.

With root veggies, those that are 'bulbous' cause the most problems raw. Fine if cooked. I'm sorry that I left that key point off. My bad and my apologies.

Another food (fruit) that can be an issue is tomatoes. They're fine raw and cooked (like in sauce) but raw has been known to cause problems in some fids due to the acidity. Certainly not a root veggie, but the bulbous nature. The same goes for oranges and grapefruits (though the juice is fine). However, honeydew and cantaloupe don't seem to cause problems as long as the rind is cut away.

I saw something about figs - I'm not aware of any issues with them fresh but I know nothing wrong with them 'dried' and are in the same scope as dates and raisins. Keupi gets them at Grandma's house (her cereal has them).

I know some have mentioned about expanding their fids nutrition and cereal is a great option - especially those that contain whole grains. As it's crunchy and resembles 'seeds' it can help break the barrier from an all seed diet. Especially if you provide a dish in the morning when fids are more likely to try new things. It's also a good mix in with the regular fid food. Just stay away from the Cocoa Krispies (anything chocolate) and the processed Fruit Loops.

OP
Chewy

Chewy

Aug 24, 2007
Media
Washington state
Parrots
1cockatoo Chewy 2 cockatiels Male=eli female-=LittleFoot
Hi Sarah and All!

As promised, I spoke with my vet today about the onions. He confirmed that raw is a problem. Cooked are not as long as they are given in moderation. Essentially, root veggies (like potatoes, onions, beets, etc) need to be throughly cooked first. As always, with any new food, small amounts to start. The big issue is in the birds digestive system as most fids like parrots don't necessarily 'dig' into the ground to feed in the wild. There's an enzyme in many root veggies that is released in the cooking process that can be harmful if given raw.

So cook them through and well and give them as you would a special treat.

thats interesting thank you

AngelEyez

Aug 20, 2007
Canada
Parrots
orange winged Amazon named Jack and a double yellow headed Amazon named Terri and 4 cockateils
thats interesting thank you
so does this go for carrots too?? Jack Loves his raw carrots YIKES... he has been eating them for months now.. Ok duh sorry didn't read the post below Geesh what a way to dig a hole and hide huh LOL

Keupi

Aug 16, 2007
Connecticut
Parrots
Keupi - a Senegal.
so does this go for carrots too?? Jack Loves his raw carrots YIKES... he has been eating them for months now.. Ok duh sorry didn't read the post below Geesh what a way to dig a hole and hide huh LOL

Carrots, if full-sized are fine raw if they are well skinned (remove the rind). Baby carrots are fine 'as-is.'

There's no hole-digging - we have no need to 'root' ourselves (HA HA!!).

I'll try to post by Wednesday in an appropriate thread some fruit/veggie do's and don'ts based on knowledge and vet recommendation. Overall, just keep in mind the basic DON'T's:

Chocolate
Alcohol
Caffeine
Celery
Avocados
Cherry pits and Apple pits (as well as the fruit surrounding the core)

Another, which is I just won't, is iceburg lettuce. Too many strings (which is the celery problem) as well as being a problem with naturally-occurring bacteria that could be fid-harmful but not human-harmful. The same goes for all seafood.

Carrots, raw and 'skin-well sliced' are just fine.

Most Reactions

Latest posts