Chickens N' Such

Wingnut

Feb 25, 2016
South Carolina, USA
Parrots
Kiwi The Lovebird
Hey Everyone!

It has been a while since I last posted on here. I have had many life-changing things happen between buying a home, getting married, and moving to a new state all within 2 years...

I have grown up surrounded by birds my entire life and know quite a bit about the health, anatomy, and proper care. However, Chickens are completely new to me. My wife and I are wanting to purchase chickens to get eggs and meat. My biggest concern is this: Can your parrots get sick from Chickens?

Now my parrots are not going to be LIVING with my chickens, but I am sure we would unknowingly track things into the house from outside. Does anyone here own both a flock of chickens and parrots? If so, are there any extra precautions you take with your birds?

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I do, I do!!! 🤣
Seriously, I do. We have laying hens, no meat birds. They're pets, family members, and all have names and different personalities. We adore them. They're NOTHING like parrots though. Chickens are messy!

That said, they have zero contact with the parrots. They're outside, parrots are inside. We always wash up thoroughly after any contact with the chickens. Far too many things out there that could be an issue for parrots. Avian flu and other respiratory bugs can wipe out a whole flock, so I don't take any chances of transferring anything from outdoors to the parrots.

So yes, it can absolutely be done, but it's best to keep them completely separate, and lots of washing. Totally worth the effort, and you'll never want commercial store bought eggs again. They just not the same. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I do not, but grew-up helping on the family farm Summers as a child many years ago. My Great Aunt and Uncle had an apple farm and chicken where both sources for eggs and meat. They kept the kids from becoming attached to the chickens for that very reason, as stated above. They are 'very easy' to become attached too! The three cows were not a problem in that regard, nor were the farm cats.

The rear-door to the house is were the line was between the farm and the house. Shoe and clothing came-off, and full wash-up and fresh clothing prior to dinner was a daily event and that was back in the fifties. The days were long, but the food was truly great with zero store purchased pre-made anything. Yea, you will never use store purchased eggs again!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I do, I do!!! 🤣
Seriously, I do. We have laying hens, no meat birds. They're pets, family members, and all have names and different personalities. We adore them. They're NOTHING like parrots though. Chickens are messy!

That said, they have zero contact with the parrots. They're outside, parrots are inside. We always wash up thoroughly after any contact with the chickens. Far too many things out there that could be an issue for parrots. Avian flu and other respiratory bugs can wipe out a whole flock, so I don't take any chances of transferring anything from outdoors to the parrots.

So yes, it can absolutely be done, but it's best to keep them completely separate, and lots of washing. Totally worth the effort, and you'll never want commercial store bought eggs again. They just not the same. :)
Part of the problem is that backyard flocks can pick things up from migratory birds or local birds, and your pet birds can pick things up from your poultry.

I suggest washing up well after caring for poultry; having a pair of shoes devoted just to that task; changing outer clothing after working with the poultry.

Most Reactions