CHIcKeNS!

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
Hey! Are chickens allowed? I know, they are hardly parrots (ha not at all), but mine get to eat kinda like parrots.

I work at a parrot store, so I put all the uneaten fresh and cooked foods, pellet crumbles and half eaten seed in a bag and bring it home at the end of the week. So they're munching away on the remnants of zupreem, Harrison's, roudybush, TOPs, golden feast, dried fruit, hemp, barley, soybeans, corn and more!!

It's cut my chicken food bill in half and my chickens have never looked better!

D8395512-47EA-42BE-A314-3AD9841AF1F0-1149-000001C646592097_zps634dbc65.jpg

Oh, if you are wondering about Big Red's tail-less condition.... Well he is about 8 years old, give the old guy a break :'D

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Wow! that's awesome! I would be a little worried about disease, but you can't deny that's a awesome deal you have going.

OP
Nocturnal

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
||Mika, 23 yo senegal parrot||Cayenne, 5 yo sun conure||Katana, 6 yo cockatiel||Monk, 4 yo peachfaced lovie||Onyx, 8 yo BH caique||Pluto & Neptune, 4 yo budgies||Tauntaun, 17 yo U2||
Typically parrot diseases aren't easily transferred to chickens and chickens are incredibly resistant to disease--- either way, every bird that comes into the store has to have bloodwork done to ensure we don't spread any diseases anyway so I'm extra confident.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
Typically parrot diseases aren't easily transferred to chickens and chickens are incredibly resistant to disease--- either way, every bird that comes into the store has to have bloodwork done to ensure we don't spread any diseases anyway so I'm extra confident.
Are people with parrots restricted from bringing their pet birds into the store to stop new disease from coming in that way?

Anyway, chickens are crazy resilient! Maybe it's because they are domesticated to live with humans.

OP
Nocturnal

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
Are people with parrots restricted from bringing their pet birds into the store to stop new disease from coming in that way?

Anyway, chickens are crazy resilient! Maybe it's because they are domesticated to live with humans.

Yup, only birds we have on file as having their blood work done are allowed to hang out. Most outside birds are boarders and its the same story for all of them. The only exception is the groomers, which is one day a week and the birds have to be in their carriers and make a very quick trip from outside to a bird-free room and then transported out just as quickly. Different towels and tools are used between birds and the area is cleaned between each bird as well. We are super careful.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Hey Noc, we too have chickens,turkeys, both for eggs and meat. We also have lots of parrots and feed their leftovers to the chickens. I have an outside table where i clean the aviary dishes and prep the breeders food. It took about 5mins for the chickens to learn figure that out, now i have lots of help.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I love chickens! I think they're brilliant! One day when I've bought my own house and not in rented etc, we'll probably get a few for eggs. They're fab. :D

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Love chickens. I miss having them, they are not allowed where we live. It is a deed restricted community. Fortunately we do have flocks of Ibis that run around the yard finding good things to eat. Reminds me of a flock of chickens. I don't get eggs but on the other hand I don't have to feed them or clean up after them:D

OP
Nocturnal

Nocturnal

May 15, 2013
A secret place
Parrots
Oh, I bed the flocks of ibis are really interesting to watch! I love seeing my chickens out lounging in the sunshine on nice days.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Chickens are pretty awesome!

Lintini

May 5, 2012
Bay Area California
Parrots
Margret-Mealy Amazon 28 (family parrot), Petri- Peach Front Conure 4, Chloe- Congo African Grey 24 and Rio- Blue Crown Conure 4 !! :D
Ahh so lucky!! We tried keeping a few in the backyard and the little sassy Pomeranian was not well behaved so we had to give them back to their old owner.

I would love to have a few for eggs once me and the fiance get a place together....if he would ever get his condo on the market to sell. T__T ugh. I gotta pick my battles though....macaw first when we get a house ^__^

Most Reactions

Latest posts