Chickweed

Feb 17, 2024
Tulsa
Parrots
Sunny (lutino budgie)
Sky (yellowface budgie)
Pixie (dilute budgie)
Are y'all familiar with this "weed"? It gets its common name from its history of being chicken feed. It's everywere this time of year, but I grow some in a planter, away from feet. The boys love it. Pixie still doesn't trust greens, and they've only been eating greens for a couple of months, the boys have been learning new foods for only a couple of months. There is nothing apart from seed that they will tear through as quickly as chickweed, except maybe pea sprouts. Sky even figured out how to ask me to give him more (looking at me and tapping the empty clip with his beak when it was gone). I started writing this when I gave them some, it is already shredded.

OP
Gemma Sarracenia
Feb 17, 2024
Tulsa
Parrots
Sunny (lutino budgie)
Sky (yellowface budgie)
Pixie (dilute budgie)
I've been feeding chickweed so often I was worried I was going to fatten them up on junk food, so I searched for nutrient information on chickweed and found it has vitamins A, B, C, D, calcium, potassium, and iron. No wonder the chicken people love it.

The one garden bed I have with this in it (I use it as a green mulch) is getting rather thin, I'm going to have to try growing this indoors so they have a constant supply. When they go to seed, it's easy to grab a few branches and sprinkle them to scatter seeds over where you want them to grow.

Most Reactions