Choosing a Diet

JustJonathan

Sep 23, 2012
Hi all,

I've had my Alexandrine for about 6 years now... she's very active and happy, especially considering when I got her she was a rescue bird that had been ill-treated.

She's about 10 years old... and i've always wondered about getting her the correct nutrients etc.

I have just purchased this food for her as it sounded really good and an easy, reliable way to make sure she gets all the supplements she needs;

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-Xtravital-Parrot-Food-2-5/dp/B00477PO1W/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1348395237&sr=1-1-catcorr"]Beaphar Xtravital Parrot Food 2.5 kg: Amazon.co.uk: Grocery[/ame]

Can anyone tell me if they have tried this before? I got it locally for £14, so.. whilst a little pricey if it means she's in better shape it's worth it to me.

I also wondered if I had purchased the correct one, or if I needed to really be using:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beaphar-Xtravital-Large-Parakeet-Food/dp/B00477RQZE/ref=sr_1_1?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1348395615&sr=1-1"]Beaphar Xtravital Large Parakeet Food 1 kg (Pack of 4): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery[/ame]

Thanks very much! :green1:

BradGC

Jul 31, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet
With parrot food, I think variation is the key.

We always have vetafarm pellets in his cage, and every morning we give him a few pieces of apple, sprouted seed mix And whatever veg that we have around in the fridge, sometimes broccoli or discs of broccoli stalks, lettuce, silverbeet or stalks, anything u have really.

We have a herb garden too, so sometimes if im pruning back the herbs ill give him a bunch here n there and he lovvves it

OP
J

JustJonathan

Sep 23, 2012
Thanks for the reply, this sounds great.

As I live on my own and don't eat a lot of fruit/veg - it's a hard job getting small purchases in the shop to give her.

The herbs sound interesting, I have a small area where I could grow some potted herbs... how often is it ok to give herbs to her, and what types are ok?

Ian

Sep 10, 2012
Hi,

My avian vet recommended the Beaphar products (she wasn't a stockist either), my pair won't eat the small seeds in the 'large parakeet mix' so I get a lot of wastage so I stick to large parrot mixes.

I have had a good experience with Buy Seed Mixtures from Northern Parrots in the UK, they send you out a thick colour catalogue of parrot stuff including dozens of different foods and supplements.

As long as the food is safe and not slobbered on I normally let my pair minesweep leftovers at lunch and dinner. Together with the daily fruit and quality seed mix, I'm pretty happy they get enough variety. Some people aren't impressed with the 'begging' behaviour it has created....

Most Reactions

Latest posts