Choosing the Best Cage for Canaries, Finches & other Small Birds

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Hi All,
While working as a bird keeper at the Bronx Zoo, I cared for a number of finches that are commonly kept as pets. Early on, I was struck by the amazing differences in the behavior of the same species when kept in large exhibits as opposed to small cages. Along with increased activity and interesting behaviors came good health and excellent breeding results. While few pet owners can keep their birds in zoo-exhibit sized cages, many do not give enough thought to just how much space their finches and canaries need. Perhaps because these birds “get by” in small cages, and rarely exhibit the problems that afflict space-deprived parrots, they are often denied spacious living quarters. But, because of their physical make-up and lifestyle, finches are poorly suited for life in cramped quarters…even less so, in some ways, than are many parrots. Choosing the best cage for these small birds is essential for their well-being and it allows you to enjoy more natural behaviors. [FONT=&quot]R[/FONT]ead article here Choosing the Best Cage for Canaries, Finches and other Small Birds
Please also check out my posts on Twitter Crows as Pets: The African Pied Crow, a Most Intelligent Bird and Face Book http://on.fb.me/KckP1m

Thanks, Frank
My Bio, with photos of animals I’ve been lucky enough to work with That Pet Place welcomes Zoologist/Herpetologist Frank Indiviglio to That Reptile Blog | That Reptile Blog

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I've always kept my finches in flight cages, later on in a aviary. They're happier living in that situation. If I can go bigger I would.... :)

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
I've always kept my finches in flight cages, later on in a aviary. They're happier living in that situation. If I can go bigger I would.... :)

Yes..no comparison to standard cages...and once you do so, there's no way to go back! Enjoy, stay well, Frank

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Frank thanks for the artical and I also think flight cage is the smallest cage to go with for finches.:)

FeathersandDrums

Sep 17, 2013
Missouri
Parrots
3 Budgies- Whimsy, Owl, & Waker
1 Rosie Bourke Parakeet- Birkenstock (Birkie)
Have you seen those tree top view cages? I'm not sure how big they come but they are so pretty!

OP
F

findi

Jan 28, 2012
Frank thanks for the artical and I also think flight cage is the smallest cage to go with for finches.:)

I agree..hard to put them in a tiny box cage once you've seen the difference a flight or larger cage makes; shame smaller birds are not given more consideration when it comes to their needs for space. best, frank

Most Reactions

Latest posts