Chop!!

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl
Lovebirds - Salsa and Peeps

Angel Cockatiels - Chloe and Quasimodo
LOL..I think Purl is set for quite some time. I made a big batch of chop for her yesterday, my first time. It was actually fun walking around the produce section picking up veggies that I thought she might like. Then to the healthfood store too.

Chop. Shot By Shot « Parrot Nation

Our chop has:
Kale
Broccoli
Broccoli rabe
carrots
turnips
sweet potatoes
red, green and cubanelle peppers
frozen peas
frozen butternut squash
zucchini
ginger
red cabbage
coconut
crushed red pepper

flax seed meal
oatmeal
rice pasta shapes

Today I will add before freezing:
armaranth
wild rice/quinoa blend

So what do you put in yours?

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Sounds Great! And yes it's lasts for quite a while!

Our last batch has:

Wild rice
Brown rice
Barley
Oatmeal
Pasta
16 bean mix
Broccoli
Carrots
Red, green and yellow peppers
Peas
Blueberries
Apple
Sweet potato
Cranberries
Corn
Cooked chicken

The fids love it, and we add fresh greens and whatever fresh veg we have to it before we serve it.

We only cook the sweet potato as far a veg. All the other veg and fruit get put through the food processor and get added raw. The time consuming part is cooking the rice, beans and barley....lol

OP
Purl

Purl

May 15, 2012
Northern NJ
Parrots
Ducorp's Cockatoo -Purl
Lovebirds - Salsa and Peeps

Angel Cockatiels - Chloe and Quasimodo
Thanks for that Purl :) Do you cook all the veg first , or are you putting it in raw?

Everything was raw except for the rice pasta, wild rice blend and amaranth. I used my little kitchen chopper to get everything done nicely. I washed the veggies but did not peel them...organic carrots, sweet potatoes and turnips. Peeled the zucchini since they were not organic and the skin was waxy for presentation.

Then I will freeze in the little snack size ziploc bags and put those in a big gallon ziploc. So I should have enough for a good month or more if I use one bag a day.

Purl is so so about it..but I don't think her former owners gave her much of anything. So I will give this to her every day with her regular food and I'm sure eventually she'll get into it. She was pulling the peas out of the mix this morning..so she's getting the other stuff too since it's stuck to the outside of the pea.

:)

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
i don't know why i didn't think to do chop for my bird! she was always a picky girl, taking all her favorites off the plate of veggies and throwing the rest.

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
wow thats a lot of stuff. what do you do, just freeze it and thaw a bit every day for them? i planned to chop stuff fresh every day but this seems much better. more variety per serving and less work:)

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
Hey guys and gals, so the last batch of chop I made had bell peppers in it, but the flavor and smell of the peppers almost seemed to take over everything else, has anyone else experienced this? I was actually going to leave them out this time because of this.

MickeysMom

Feb 13, 2012
Media
Albums
Brookhaven, Pa
Parrots
Mickey - Female U2 age unknown. DNA test came back...he is a SHE,

Tinker 12 yr old female GCC

Chiquita 16 yr old Female U2 and Junior 16 yr old Male Grey
Did you cook the peppers? I put them in chopped raw...and haven't noticed them being overwhelming....but if the fids don't like them, you can leave them out.

Barbzeee

Nov 23, 2012
Pa/Florida
Ok, I'm new to this as I'm reading ..I have only cut up some carrots and celery and added a bit of apple..If you all wouldn't mind explaining this more..

Today I'm going to the store to pick up a few more veggies to see what she'll eat being just a baby

Look forward to reading ...right now she gets "pretty bird". And a mixed seed called "champion". That is what this breeder feeds all his birds..

Anxiously await more info for a healthy baby

God bless

Zeee and critters 3 & 1/2.

Most Reactions