Chris from Missouri

Angelforaday

Jun 5, 2022
Parrots
I am currently looking to purchase.
Hello, I have been researching parrots for about 5 months. I have watched about every YouTube video there is pertaining to owning and training a parrot.

I live in NW Missouri. I am married with an adult son at home. We can't wait to have a new addition to our family.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Welcome to the forums I'm originally from webb city, next to Joplin Went to college in Columbia. What kind are you looking for?

OP
A

Angelforaday

Jun 5, 2022
Parrots
Welcome to the forums I'm originally from webb city, next to Joplin Went to college in Columbia. What kind are you looking for?
Thank you for the welcome. I'm not sure yet. I'm still waiting to see what comes to me as I am open to any species. I have never owned a bird as of yet. So I am taking it slow.

I have been visiting a local pet store with green cheek conjures where 1 is always coming up to me. For some reason these 3 conjures have been in the store for over a year. I think the price is $750 each.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Word of advice...the bird picks you.......

If you want instant flock....find the bird that picks you.

I've posted this before but should be helpful.... a hundred birds but you know the one. It's obvious the ones i got. Wait to the end.

Jexnell

Supporting Member
2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 28, 2019
Portland Oregon
Parrots
Phoenix - Sun conure
Welcome to the feathered family!

I agree best way to get a bird is having one pick you.
When I got my Sun Conure, he was one of 25 baby birds of various breeds the store had. I visited the store three days in a row and each day he was the one to climb up to see me. He was not old enough to come home yet so for the next six weeks I went in daily to see him and work on our bond so when it was time to go home the transition would be much easier.
20190727_172325(0).jpg

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Why not check out local parrot rescues? It‘s true that a young bird who chooses you will be more bonded in the beginning, but that can change. Parrots choose their mates, and it’s possible that in a year, or ten, the bird you have bonded with for years might decide you are evil and it loves only your spouse. Or son. Or nobody. Young birds are a long time going through puberty and settling down. An older bird from a rescue might have problems, and it might not.

Some rescue birds have been neglected or mistreated and might take time to come around. Some have just been orphaned because their human died or had to go to a nursing home. It can take more time to find a parrot at a rescue, but it’s really better in many ways. The parrot is likely to be more settled in personality, and if they choose you, you are likely to stay chosen!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Welcome! I love that you're open to finding the right match ❤️

I felt the same way, and was just starting to visit rescues to get to know different species with the idea I'd start looking this summer. And met my little man the first visit without knowing he'd be coming to my life.

I'm excited to see where this journey takes you!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Welcome! :) Wishing you the best of luck finding a feathered friend for your family.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
If this is an article you missed during your research then give it a read. Its really great and covers normal behavior all tge way through some common causes for bites, screaming and such.

Burds are so social and intelligent and communicate a lot non verbally. They are unlike any other pet. As they are a prey species and have some hard wired behaviors , one big one is they will do everything to hide illness until they are severely sick and have no resources left to hide it. Also their social structure is equally members sharing a society. They make individual friendships

OP
A

Angelforaday

Jun 5, 2022
Parrots
Welcome to the forums I'm originally from webb city, next to Joplin Went to college in Columbia. What kind are you looking l

Hello, I have been researching parrots for about 5 months. I have watched about every YouTube video there is pertaining to owning and training a parrot.

I live in NW Missouri. I am married with an adult son at home. We can't wait to have a new addition to our family.
I am so sorry introduction was so brief, let me expand. Thank you all for the warm welcome.

NW Missouri is Maryville. My family moved here from Helena MT 2 years ago to be farmers with husbands family.

By waiting for the right bird to come to me, I mean I am open to babies, surrenders/rehome, or just fostering. I agree with all your advise of letting a parrot pick me.

We would preferably love to have an adult or senior bird but not sure where to look. I need help.

My husband and I are 59 and 66, and taking into consideration the birds age. Any help in finding a rescue would be awesome.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Facebook market place, Craigslist alway have people needing to re home for all kinds of reasons. Some people have proved the best care, some have nit or git in over their heads

OP
A

Angelforaday

Jun 5, 2022
Parrots
Thank you. I have responded to this post. We'll see how she feels about a new to birds as a parront.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I have deleted my post with the link to the gcc. As from your message it completely sounds like a scam!!! I'm so sorry I shared it!
I have always had positive and honest interactions from Craigslist. Though cation should always be used.
Definitely never pay for anything, until its in your hands.

So very sorry this is tge experience you've had

Most Reactions

Latest posts