CL Parrots?

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
Okay, so I am a craigslist addict. Looking through pet posting I have found a number of large parrots being re-homed. Any opinions regarding purchasing a bird off of CL? I've just been checking the waters for a future purchase and am trying to find out what route to take. This will be my first large parrot...so...breeder, individual re-homing, or adoption through a rescue. Sorry, I know this is bound to be a matter of opinion and possibly a touchy subject, but I want to get input from everyone I can so I can make an informed decision.

I've gotten a bird from craigslist, my male sennie, Sydney, no problems. Just do your due diligence.

I have parrots from Craigslist, breeders, pet stores, rescues... MEET THE BIRD whatever you do don't get your heart set on it until you meet it, and take it straight to the vet and then if you have other birds, have a quarantine period. If you have other pets, see how it reacts to those pets, take other members of your family with you in case it hates men, people with red hair, glasses, etc, and above all be skeptical of a deal that is too good to be true. Go in with your eyes wide open, your head screwed on straight, and go for it :)

Good advice from Silver Sage.Ive gotten a lot of my birds off CL . I believe that's the true rescue , Each situation I can say I didn't like. Most the time the birds are not getting the attention they should. If you go in with the attitude. Your happy with what they are willing to give [you will go far ]. With lots of patience and realize it may take along time to build their trust. Mine are my most beloved bonded birds.

Many good birds turn up on craigslist. Some 'come home' with 'behavioral issues' that stem for a bad prior owner and take some work to build trust and turn into a good companion. IMO, there's no such thing as a 'bad bird', just bad/ignorant owners and the bird has reacted like a toddler with no boundaries. So long as you go in understanding you'll likely end up with a bird in need of some TLC, I think you'd be giving some deserving bird a great opportunity to live in a loving, forever home:)

I got Sassy and then Cisco from Craigslist. I made sure I took hubby with me to get them...don't go alone. ;)

I got Gizmo off of CL for free (but he actually costed A LOT more after). First of all, I'd make sure the pictures are theirs ! Dragging the picture to your desktop and then dragging it the Google Image search bar [on Macs] will show you if the picture is taken from online or not.
I can't agree with Silversage more, meet the bird first and ask loads of questions - well that's what I think - to see how old they are, any behavioral issues, diet, health issues, vet checks, and mainly to see the environment they were raised in.

I rescued 6 parrots from CL, and they are all wonderful and healthy birds now. They were all very difficult in beginning, but with love and patience I was able to tame them. I rehomed one of them later to a better home (not through CL), and I still keep in touch with the owner who is much better parront than I. There are wonderful people on CL (as well as plenty of jerks), and you just have to be able to sort that out. I still keep in touch with most of my birds former owners. BTW, three of my birds were free. :) I'm at my full capacity now, but I still love to browse through CL pet ads... :)

I'm a CL addict. I usually check it M-F and on the weekends if I can find WiFi somewhere. :D Great advice from the others. I have re-homed a lot of the ones I get off of CL but I don't have a problem with that. I got them out of the situation they were in.

I'm also a CL addict. Luckily there aren't really very many birds listed in my area..lol. I was lucky that when I was searching for a parrot, Sassy was posted in an area that I'm pretty familiar with. Then I was considering getting her a new cage and was looking on CL and saw my little Cisco. I like to think it was meant to be, since I really haven't seen many more since then that I actually felt I would have gone to get. I do still look about once a week just to see what's out there...but hubby gets a little nervous when he sees me on the site...LOL.

Okay, so I am a craigslist addict. Looking through pet posting I have found a number of large parrots being re-homed. Any opinions regarding purchasing a bird off of CL? I've just been checking the waters for a future purchase and am trying to find out what route to take. This will be my first large parrot...so...breeder, individual re-homing, or adoption through a rescue. Sorry, I know this is bound to be a matter of opinion and possibly a touchy subject, but I want to get input from everyone I can so I can make an informed decision.

My guess is it can be hit and miss with behavior or bird you will get. Suggestion would be to go see them handle the bird, if they can do it and the bird is calm, not biting them, maybe will even step up to you? you should be ok.

Angel was off craigslist....and she is great.

If you get to a location and the person won't take the bird out, or they seem really aggressive you may know why they are rehoming.

Adopted all 3 of my parrots from CL. All are in good health and came with with their cages which are in decent condition. Had to convert 2 parrots from seeds to pellets, but that was so easy. Caution, lots of scams are being identified, if something sounds to good to be true, usually it is. Please don't give out vital information, or deposits, and if at all possible meet in a public place and have another adult with you. Hope you find what you're looking for, and stay safe.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back